Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Clancy's new novel, dead or alive

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tom Clancy's new novel, dead or alive

    Has any one read the newest Tom Clancy novel? Maybe I am getting old, they just do not excite me as much as they used to.
    Have I missed anything, the sov union died many yrs ago and now the Clancy style US of A need to beat up the moslems, this seems to be the trend of late. At least WITHOUT REMORSE and CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER had a drug problem for the characters to focus on.

    Can anybody recommend novels with a focus on small unit infantry combat?

    PS it is after 1800 21st May here in AUSTRALIA and despite the prediction of the end of the world by a US clergyman at that time, we are still surfing the net and performing other Activities of Daily Living.

  • #2
    Originally posted by pball View Post
    Has any one read the newest Tom Clancy novel? Maybe I am getting old, they just do not excite me as much as they used to.
    Have I missed anything,
    You're not missing anything. I stopped enjoying his novels a while ago. What bothered me is the same thing that bothers me about any series that goes on too long. The characters begin to be super human. Jack Ryan, man that can do no wrong. Foresees any problem and is 10 moves ahead of any opponent. Now he has passed it on to his kids. Blah,blah blah. So tired of them.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tsar View Post
      You're not missing anything. I stopped enjoying his novels a while ago. What bothered me is the same thing that bothers me about any series that goes on too long. The characters begin to be super human. Jack Ryan, man that can do no wrong. Foresees any problem and is 10 moves ahead of any opponent. Now he has passed it on to his kids. Blah,blah blah. So tired of them.
      You're so right. That is how I feel about Vince Flynn's novels.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pball View Post
        Has any one read the newest Tom Clancy novel? Maybe I am getting old, they just do not excite me as much as they used to.
        Have I missed anything, the sov union died many yrs ago and now the Clancy style US of A need to beat up the Moslem's, this seems to be the trend of late. At least WITHOUT REMORSE and CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER had a drug problem for the characters to focus on.

        Can anybody recommend novels with a focus on small unit infantry combat?

        PS it is after 1800 21st May here in AUSTRALIA and despite the prediction of the end of the world by a US clergyman at that time, we are still surfing the net and performing other Activities of Daily Living.
        What interesting is the last Clancy movie was forced to change who the actual bad guy were for some reason. They went with evil Nazi businessman how pathetic

        Comment


        • #5
          Awww man I love the Vince Flynn Novels!! LOL.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tr1strev View Post
            You're so right. That is how I feel about Vince Flynn's novels.
            Agreed, guess it is just par for the course!

            Comment


            • #7
              Someone gave me a few Vince Flynn books but I havent read them yet.

              When I was in Iraq, someone suggested that the then recent Clancy novel, the one with his son, was so bad that it must have been a ghost writer.
              Delegate, MN GOP.

              PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

              http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by craven View Post
                What interesting is the last Clancy movie was forced to change who the actual bad guy were for some reason. They went with evil Nazi businessman how pathetic
                That theme was quite common for most of the films but was only really obvious with Sum of all fears.

                Most real world terrorists to make use of contacts in other groups in different nations for logisitics, etc. The connection between the Basque ETA and the Provos come to mind. Anyway, Patriot Games (The book) had black liberation bozos helping out the IRA guys when they assaulted Ryan's house. Sum of all fears not only had arabs being the bad guys, but had American Indian movement terrs helping them also.
                Delegate, MN GOP.

                PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

                http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

                Comment


                • #9
                  Trying to get into it now but having trouble staying awake. Pretty bad when Clive Cussler is more interesting than Tom Clancy.

                  Guess I'll stick with Dead Or Alive but I'm 62 and may not have that much time left.
                  Skip

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Reading that thing was a real chore and generally about as exciting as waiting for the toaster to pop up.

                    About 300 pages too long.
                    Skip

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Checked out of the library, got about 1/4 way into it and returned it.
                      Too Much To Do Too Little Time

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sadly Clancy has become Cussler from a few yrs ago. Cusslers books were intially good but as other members have stated, the central characters become to unbelieveable, and the same has happened to Clancy.

                        Also the naff maps and pictures in both Clancy's & Cusslers books-WTF are they about? They make the books look childish.

                        Regards
                        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

                        "I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I haven't read a Clancy book in quite some time. The one that initially got me started was 'Red Storm Rising'. Unfortunately, that seemed to be one of his few books that didn't have a 500 page political buildup prior to the conflict in the book. A little bit of buildup would be fine with me for some back story to why what's happening is, but it seems to be a little excessive IMO.
                          I think that the last one that I read was 'The Bear and the Dragon'. That is one of the long buildup books I am referring to. It took forever to get into it, then, just like that, it was over.
                          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                            I haven't read a Clancy book in quite some time. The one that initially got me started was 'Red Storm Rising'. Unfortunately, that seemed to be one of his few books that didn't have a 500 page political buildup prior to the conflict in the book. A little bit of buildup would be fine with me for some back story to why what's happening is, but it seems to be a little excessive IMO.
                            I think that the last one that I read was 'The Bear and the Dragon'. That is one of the long buildup books I am referring to. It took forever to get into it, then, just like that, it was over.
                            I'm about half way through that one now. It's interesting but often hard for me to stick with it. Like you, I just don't see the need for 600 pages of blather to pad the book. A shame Clancy chooses to use 1,000 words when a hundred would do the job.
                            Skip

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by skiplc View Post
                              I'm about half way through that one now. It's interesting but often hard for me to stick with it. Like you, I just don't see the need for 600 pages of blather to pad the book. A shame Clancy chooses to use 1,000 words when a hundred would do the job.
                              I'm reading Red Storm Rising which is 725 pages, and will certainly be the longest book I've ever read. Clear and Present Danger held the previous record, being 688 pages. I thought C&PD was pretty interesting, and Red Storm Rising keeps me interested (being that the war changes around in more than a few ways)...the very beginning was intriguing, then was sort of slow, especially since it was all dramatic irony (knowing what the characters didn't know), so there's a bunch of pages of the characters trying to figure out that war's a'comin'...but I didn't mind it too much...at least it didn't give too little info on why the war started.

                              Anyways, I'm glad I've read through the reactions here, so I don't check it out and waste time on it.
                              "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

                              --Hávamál

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X