Special Forces non-fiction and fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
    "Also there is Marcinko's Rogue Warrior. An entertaining read, although I sometime wonder about its accuracy.

My sentiments exactly. His description of one of his actions in Vietnam were challenged by another participant. (I really should go and find out the name of the action and the name of the person who challenged Marcinko's version. It's too easy just to say it's been discredited without citing the details.) But it is one where Marcinko figured quite prominently in his own account.

Cheers,
    Dan.
    He's been criticized for a number of years for violating opsec in his books-I'd be interested in hearing the details if you ever stuble across that story.
    Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

just finished Robin Moore's "The Hunt for Bin Laden". Good read!
      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_S View Post
        You'd better buy this one before it sells out....

http://www.amazon.com/Spec-Ops-Studi...pd_sim_sbs_b_1

....by the US Admiral who commanded the Bin Laden whack.
        Just ordered that book. Best get it while it is cheap,it is now in the top 1300 at Amazon. The hardcover is going for over $200. I bet it will get a new publishing run.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Just finished John Plaster's "Secret Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines with the Elite Warriors of SOG". Way better read than "The Hunt for Bin Laden." These guys had ended up becoming the hunted more often than being the hunters.
          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

MIKE Force novel

My novel, The Dega: A MIKE Force novel, set in the II Corps MIKE Force has been announced by Hellgate Press and can be found at http://hellgatepress.com/shaun-darragh/dega Though I may have to have them pull it down. It seems they missed a few corrections>

Last edited by lirelou; 31 May 11, 14:37.
            dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Lirelou:

RE: The Dega
              And who is that dashing looking young fellow gracing the center of the cover? And who is that hippy in the skirt smoking a massive reefer at bottom left?

First bloke looks the business; second chap's gone bloody native...

Seriously, is this the final version? I'll be on the lookout for a class read come late July.
              A massive attack...a brigade against an army...three nights of battle...an unforgettable tragedy.
              Sixty years later, the full story is told at last:
              http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/

Comment

Andy, not sure of who the guy in the middle is. He's down in a studio photo as 'unknown'. If I'm correct, it was either Doug Martin or Frank Sievers, both KIA. I was hoping that the publisher would do the cover with artwork, but they opted for photoshop.

As for the hippie in loincloth, he was smoking a tribal pipe, but some of it got cut off in the photoshop. Pity I couldn't find a photo of his true love, in all her bare-breasted beauty. That would have caught some interest. But back in my day, such were considered obscene. The Yards could never figure out how westerners got hung up on breasts. In their world, breasts were for babies.

Comment

SNIP
                  The Yards could never figure out how westerners got hung up on breasts. In their world, breasts were for babies.
                  SNIP

Those Yards were barbarians. BARBARIANS, I say!

Seriously if your book covers SF derring do, reefers, loincloths AND the fulsome, sensuous bosoms of native maidens, you have got a bestseller on your hands, so stand by for a deluge of cash and The Call from Hanks, Spielberg and co.

I suggest the TV miniseries could be called "Band of Bosoms"

If, OTOH, the big screen beckons - and assuming you want to run with the loincloth angle - perhaps an appropriate title would be
                  "Saving Ryan's Privates?"
                  A massive attack...a brigade against an army...three nights of battle...an unforgettable tragedy.
                  Sixty years later, the full story is told at last:
                  http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lirelou, when will your book be for sale? It looks right up my ally!

I also wrote a short story about MACV-SOG in the Vietnam War. It is the first in a series that will follow a mercenary through the 70's and 80's, the second issue taking place in Rhodesia. The first one is called PROMIS: Vietnam, you can find it on Amazon if you like. It is about actual operations and one that could have happened, a SOG raid on COSVN, the alleged VC headquarters.

For non-fiction, I highly recommend John Stryker Meyer's "Across the Fence". Meyer was a One-Zero who ran his recon team across the border into both Laos and Cambodia. Great memoir.

Cheers,
                    -Jack

Comment

OSS and OSS related:

Behind Japanese Lines by Richard Dunlop (history)

From OSS to Green Berets by COL Aaron Bank (history)

The Brenner Assignment by Patrick K. O'Donnell (history)

Knight's Cross by COL Aaron Bank (alternative history novel)

Master Sniper by Stephen Hunter (novel)

Where Eagles Dare by Alistair MacLean (novel)

I know the thread title said non-fiction but I didn't think it would hurt to mention a few novels that the OSS showed up in.
                      Last edited by KRJ; 11 Jul 11, 16:25.
                      "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Jack, you can find it on Amazon and Amazon.UK for $21.95 and 13 pounds respectively. The publisher was selling it for $17.95 on his website. http://hellgatepress.com/shaun-darragh/dega

Andy, I like Saving Ryan's Privates myself. I have a major supporting character named Kevin Ryan,who is a Black medic. One of the chaps he's modeled on took some grenade shrapnel in the family jewels while he was taking a whiz. I can remember his being taken to the medevac (sadly, we lost one KIA and another would die in hospital) bitching that he wasn't 'doin' nothin' but takin' a ****** piss. Can't do nothin' in this country without gettin' your a** shot off..." Not a combat incident, but one of a mishandled grenade. Guess I should have made him the protagonist.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X