Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle east history book

Hello,

I'm just looking for an over all good book on the history of the modern middle east (since the foundation of Islam, circa 600 A.D). I've been trying to find one that covers just about everything, from culture, history (military history), etc. If thats too much, perhaps one dealing with all of the middle east/north africa since the fall of the ottoman empire after WWI.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd sure like to hear them!

Too broad of a subject, even if such a book is written it'll either be very lacking in information or a couple of hundreds of pages long.

I suggest sticking to a specific period and a specific field as much as possible.

Comment

Try "Destiny Disrupted" though it wont take you to the fall of the Ottoman Empire of WWI, it is still a good look at the history of the Middle East, and how/why the West surpassed it.

Comment

How about...

"What Went Wrong" by Bernard Lewis? The full title includes: "The Clash Between Islam and Modernity in the Middle East.

Lewis is a well respected scholar in the field. He is the Cleveland E. Dodge Professor Emeritus of Near eastern Studies at Princeton. The book is short (less than 200 pgs), but it covers the subject matter quite well.

It's as good an overview on the topic as you'll find. I heartily recommend it to anyone with an interest in the place of islam in the modern world.
        Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X