Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More of Ross Carter's " C " Co., 504 PIR, " Devils In Baggy Pants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More of Ross Carter's " C " Co., 504 PIR, " Devils In Baggy Pants.

After a great deal more research into Ross Carter's " C " Co., 504 PIR buddies as mentioned in his book " DEVILS IN BAGGY PANTS, I've come up with a lot of photos and written material and I think it's time to make it available to those who are interested students of this subject.
    The problem is that there is a KB limit on the size of the photo or item that can be uploaded / attached to a post on this site, and a maximum of six photos / items can be uploaded / attached to the posting.
    I have uploaded / attached five photos, and a names list for the fifth photo ( " C " Company at Laon, France, Spring '45 ) that meet the size limitation.
    Some may have seen the Levy " Finkelstein ", " Homer / Carey " Lea photo before but this is a much clearer version from one of Lea's relatives.
    I have many more but they won't upload due to the size limit so it's the best I can do within the limitations.
    I wonder if there's a way to change a photo to the JPG or PDF types which have much larger KB limits than most photos, or to reduce the KB size of a photo, or if there's another system outside of this site that would allow the larger items to be attached to a posting on this site.
    As you can see, I don't know much about this stuff.
    Anyway, if you have an interest in this material let me know what you are looking for and I'll fire it off to you if I have it.
    The man in parachute harness at jump school is John Parsons " The Master Termite ". The profile is of Ross Carter from Charles " Kid " Butler. The other
    smaller photo is also of Carter and was found in Harold " Homer / Carey " Lea's copy of Carter's book. The group photo of C Company taken Spring, '45 at Laon, France can be zoomed into to an amazing degree. The attached names list for that photo was provided to me by Ed Dodd who is in the photo.
    Cheers,
    Mike St.George
    Col. Reuben Tucker ( C.O.,504 PIR, WW 2 ) Chapter
    82nd. Abn. Div.Assn.
    [email protected]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike St.George; 02 Mar 11, 16:20.

Bumped for question

Is the true identity of Ross Carter's "Casey" known? Casey was an interesting character and was said to be from Wyoming. I've lived in Wyoming for many years and I'd like to know more about the real Casey.
    "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Mike St.George

KRJ:

Sorry to take so long to respond to your question re. Ross Carter's " Casey "; I had some problems logging on. The short answer to your question - as far as I know - is that no one has identified " Casey ". He has been referred to as one of Carter's composite characters but I don't agree.
      Carter spends, if memory serves, one and a half pages describing " Casey " in EXTREME detail, far beyond the point necessary to combine two or three people into one composite character.
      Why would he go to such lengths when there was no need to do so ? What would be the point ? His other composites - if in fact they actually were composites - had very little descriptive material and that's fine because that's the whole point; so they won't be recognised.
      It just doesn't make any sense on any level, literary or otherwise.
      I wish I knew who " Casey " was. He and the " Master Termite " were my primary identification goals. I identified the Master, and and two or three others, rather easily by comparing dates in Carter's book to the dates on casualty lists but so far there are too many KIAs from the Cheneux fight of 20 December, 1944 where Carter states he was killed to narrow it down.
      It's just a question of time, though, before I find something that does the job.
      Cheers, Mike St.George, 82nd. Abn. Div. Assn.
      [email protected]

Comment

Not sure why this was in "request a new forum topic" but I think it would get a great deal more attention in "Books" or "WWII". We'll try Books first and let me know if you want it moved later on.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Have you contacted Paul Mann? His Grandfather served in this unit.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
            Paul Mann is banned but I am in regular contact with him on Facebook and could let him know if you're interested in getting in touch.
            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

You can't contact people that have been banned? Oh well, tell Cody I still think about him and hope he and his are well.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                Not sure why this was in "request a new forum topic" but I think it would get a great deal more attention in "Books" or "WWII". We'll try Books first and let me know if you want it moved later on.
                I don't know why it's there either. I didn't want it to be there; I thought it would be in a on-going conversational response discussion type of section. If you can, please post this and related postings under whatever heading contains material of mine and of those who have responded to my postings.

Maybe it's just me but I find this site to be difficult and confusing to use. Take this, your post replying to me, for example. I would have thought there would be something on your reply posting like " respond ", or " answer ", or " reply ",so that I could click that and answer / respond to whatever you said. Instead there is the word " quote " which has absolutely no meaning in that context. Quote what ? Talk about vague and confusing !
                Anyway, just for the hell of it, I clicked on " quote " because I had nothing to lose, and here you are.

Cheers,
                Mike St.George

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
                  I have communicated with Paul in the past and I was aware of his relative
                  having been in the 504th. PIR. I have a vague memory of his having been in
                  B Co., which was almost wiped out in the combat at Cheneux, Belgium, 20 Dec.,1944,and that he was wounded on that occasion. but I could be wrong
                  as I'm going by an increasingly suspect memory.

Cheers,
                  Mike St.George
                  82nd. Abn. Div. Assn.
                  [email protected]

Comment

John Parsons was killed at Salerno on Christmas Day.
                    My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                      Paul Mann is banned but I am in regular contact with him on Facebook and could let him know if you're interested in getting in touch.
                      Tell him I said Hello...........

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                        Tell him I said Hello...........
                        Will do.
                        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          John Parsons was killed at Salerno on Christmas Day.
                          101combatvet

That's not correct. The 504th.PIR fought their way from the Salerno area north to Naples, and from there they went further north to the mountainous area in the Venafro region where, on Christmas day, 1943, the Master Termite, John Parsons, was killed while on patrol. There were others killed in that time period who Carter mentions in his book and to whom he gave false names.
                          Not long after that they were withdrawn and subsequently shipped north to Anzio.

Cheers,
                          Mike St.George
                          Col. Reuben Tucker Chapter
                          82nd. Abn. Div. Assn.

Comment

Two others were killed in December, Cpl Ogonowski on the 19th and Sgt DeWitt on the 15th. A total of three deaths in December from "C" Company.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

If you're in touch with Paul Mann you've probably seen these pictures, but for other fans of Carter's work check out this old thread...

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ls+baggy+pants
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X