No announcement yet.

Books you need to write?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually considering writing a novel about a fictional Middle East War, told as a campaign history of the Australian Army through interviews with infantrymen, tankers, pilots, etc. Think The Good War or World War Z.

I might also write in novel form or as a mock memoir.
    You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
      If I can get over my crippling writers block:

A WW2 infantry platoon (US/Aus Army) in the PTO. Think somewhere in New Guinea or the Philippines. Would explore combat, shell-shock, atrocties, the relationship between veterans and new guys, new and experienced officers and just be an intimate portrait of one unit.
      This might shake you loose. http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC...M-NBrit-1.html
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

The historical subject I would like to research and write would be something like:

What Made Them Keep Going to the Slaughter: The Men who went into the carnage 1914 - 1918 and what got them there.

I've always been surprised that the large mutinies or WW I took until 1917 or 1918 to break out. I feel the main reason is that it was pre - electronic communications, and there had been so much nationalism for so long, that there was still a great internal pressure on men to go. There was of course the police action of the state, honest patriotism, the urge for a good scrap, censorship, propaganda, etc.

Could also be looked at throughout history, or a book from WW I through to the present day, with the focus on governments needing more extreme measures in WW II, but the WW I topic, investigating all the various countries, is a huge topic in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
          The historical subject I would like to research and write would be something like:

What Made Them Keep Going to the Slaughter: The Men who went into the carnage 1914 - 1918 and what got them there.

I've always been surprised that the large mutinies or WW I took until 1917 or 1918 to break out. I feel the main reason is that it was pre - electronic communications, and there had been so much nationalism for so long, that there was still a great internal pressure on men to go. There was of course the police action of the state, honest patriotism, the urge for a good scrap, censorship, propaganda, etc.

Ferguson covered it in some but not extensive detail in his "Pity of War".

Comment

A sample page of an old book I started in 1992 but never finished.

The Nanny Society

Chapter 1, Panic the public
            until they demand that something be done about it no matter what.

Make everyone feel guilty about what took place in history. Rewrite history to portray White Europeans as evil, racist, and a destroyer of the environment.
            Portray the American farmer as a greedy destroyer of the land who cause pain and suffering among the animals.
            Portray cooperate America as money hungry robber barons that don't care about their employees and destroyers of the environment.
            Panic the public over crime, murder, rape, race, unemployment, poverty, overpopulation, drug use, child molesting, greenhouse gases, endangered species, nuclear power, Rottweiler and Pit Bull terriers, and anything else to rally the public towards the Politically Correct cause. Allow them to become even bigger problems so Progressives can step in and say that "They Care" and will do something about it.
            Provide all kinds of giveaway programs to encourage minorities to sit home, multiply, and do nothing. Remove all incentive for those people to ever become self sufficient.
            Promote the break-up of the family unit through the elimination of family values and religion. Eliminate all reasons for being held responsible for your actions.
            Eliminate First Amendment rights of free speech so that the opposing view is never heard. President Clinton was even so bold as to comment "we have got to do something about this Bill of Rights".

Here is one silly example that occurred for real;

The “Killer Tomato” Panic!

The LDEF satellite was placed in orbit by the Space shuttle to study many things including preservation of plant seeds in space. It was to be retrieve by a shuttle six months later. However, the Challenger disaster resulted in the satellite remaining in orbit for six years.
            On board this satellite was a supply of tomato seeds. They were sent to schools across the nation for testing with instructions by NASA on how to use them. School children planted them and watched them grow. They compared them with seed from tomatoes that were stored on the earth.
            Then, it happened. Some Progressive remembered watching a B rated Sci-fi movie called "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". He found a NASA internal memo written by Nelson Ehrlick of Oklahoma University about the tomato seed project.
            "There is a remote possibility that radiation caused mutations could cause the plant to produce toxic fruit," the memo said.
            Panic hit the evening news of April, 1990, (Friday the 13th). Some of the schools threw out the tomatoes after several parents started harassing the schools. Others were fearful that the kids might eat the tomatoes and suffer food poisoning from them.
            The panic continues in spite of assurances that there are not going to be killer tomatoes sprouting from those seeds. "That's Hollywood script stuff", quotes Nelson Ehrlick.
            How will this story end? Will some kid die from food poisoning? Will mutant tomatoes form and attack us in the middle of the night? Will all of the schools throw the tomatoes into the incinerators? Will Progressives launch a lawsuit? Stay tuned as the Panic explodes.
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
              A sample page of an old book I started in 1992 but never finished.

The Nanny Society

Chapter 1, Panic the public
              until they demand that something be done about it no matter what.

Make everyone feel guilty about what took place in history. Rewrite history to portray White Europeans as evil, racist, and a destroyer of the environment.
              Portray the American farmer as a greedy destroyer of the land who cause pain and suffering among the animals.
              Portray cooperate America as money hungry robber barons that don't care about their employees and destroyers of the environment.
              Panic the public over crime, murder, rape, race, unemployment, poverty, overpopulation, drug use, child molesting, greenhouse gases, endangered species, nuclear power, Rottweiler and Pit Bull terriers, and anything else to rally the public towards the Politically Correct cause. Allow them to become even bigger problems so Progressives can step in and say that "They Care" and will do something about it.
              Provide all kinds of giveaway programs to encourage minorities to sit home, multiply, and do nothing. Remove all incentive for those people to ever become self sufficient.
              Promote the break-up of the family unit through the elimination of family values and religion. Eliminate all reasons for being held responsible for your actions.
              Eliminate First Amendment rights of free speech so that the opposing view is never heard. President Clinton was even so bold as to comment "we have got to do something about this Bill of Rights".

Here is one silly example that occurred for real;

The “Killer Tomato” Panic!

The LDEF satellite was placed in orbit by the Space shuttle to study many things including preservation of plant seeds in space. It was to be retrieve by a shuttle six months later. However, the Challenger disaster resulted in the satellite remaining in orbit for six years.
              On board this satellite was a supply of tomato seeds. They were sent to schools across the nation for testing with instructions by NASA on how to use them. School children planted them and watched them grow. They compared them with seed from tomatoes that were stored on the earth.
              Then, it happened. Some Progressive remembered watching a B rated Sci-fi movie called "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". He found a NASA internal memo written by Nelson Ehrlick of Oklahoma University about the tomato seed project.
              "There is a remote possibility that radiation caused mutations could cause the plant to produce toxic fruit," the memo said.
              Panic hit the evening news of April, 1990, (Friday the 13th). Some of the schools threw out the tomatoes after several parents started harassing the schools. Others were fearful that the kids might eat the tomatoes and suffer food poisoning from them.
              The panic continues in spite of assurances that there are not going to be killer tomatoes sprouting from those seeds. "That's Hollywood script stuff", quotes Nelson Ehrlick.
              How will this story end? Will some kid die from food poisoning? Will mutant tomatoes form and attack us in the middle of the night? Will all of the schools throw the tomatoes into the incinerators? Will Progressives launch a lawsuit? Stay tuned as the Panic explodes.
              I with you buddy .

Comment

About 18 months ago my house was broken into. The only things taken was two cameras, a pocket watch from my first wife, and a thumb drive with my seven books in work on it. My historical books were: A study of how the progressive movement has destroyed American industries; A study in the true casuality rates of the American Indian Wars; The Kennedy Assassination. A look into the face of War in the middle future (20 to 50 years) and two ficition books, one dealing with how the Irish helps rebuilds Western Civilization after its collapse in the 2020s and a Star Trek novel dealing with the generation after the book "Search for Spock." A somewhat different story than the movie. Plus a personnal look into the changes of mores in the 1980s America.

Comment

Today the book I would write would be about education (preK - 12) in America. Actually, I would only write part of it, but edit the whole thing. It would be from the viewpoint of different people presenting their honest views of their experiences, the things they found/find good and bad in the system and in themselves. The chapter about myself would be about a late-in-life teaching entrant, who understands (what I thought were) the basic requirements of the job: relating to the students and teaching them to think and learn on their own, dealing with parents and co-workers, and dealing with administrators; but then learns there is a whole other part to the job: producing "evidence" and doing constant write-ups of "assessments" and the like, which all serve to feed the "standards" scam.

I would then have 8 or 10 other people write chapters. I would then write chapters myself on organizations, such as the national testing companies and the "content" companies.

Comment

Mine would be 'The Man Who Did For Michael Wittmann'. The other would be 'A travellers Guide to Middle Earth...James May style'
                    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                    All human ills he can subdue,
                    Or with a bauble or medal
                    Can win mans heart for you;
                    And many a blessing know to stew
                    To make a megloamaniac bright;
                    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

I want to write something like 50 shades of grey pretending to be a chick. Diary of a hooker or something. It would be fun turning up to book sighing as a bearded 50 yo with a crew cut telling people that I got the idea watching a couple of dogs at it.

I am not joking here. It is not often you get to combine fun and profit
                      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X