Bodyguard of Lies. Veracity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodyguard of Lies. Veracity?

After nearly 25 years I am rereading Anthony Browns 1970s history of the deception ops of WWII. In the first couple chapters a number of items, large and small, jumped out at me. Some small ones are indicative of sloppy writing or editing and are of the sort and frequency that cause one to wonder about the larger content. Then there is the larger content. One specific item is Brown accuses Churchill & his councellors of 'sacraficing the city of Coventry to protect ULTRA. I'd heard this one many times over the years, tho I dont recall it from my first read of Brown. In this case Browns presentation of this idea is no more convincing than the others I've heard or read.

There are other items, but what are others opinions of Brown's book? Can the other descriptions & analysis or opinion in Bodyguard of Lies be depended on?

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
    After nearly 25 years I am rereading Anthony Browns 1970s history of the deception ops of WWII. In the first couple chapters a number of items, large and small, jumped out at me. Some small ones are indicative of sloppy writing or editing and are of the sort and frequency that cause one to wonder about the larger content. Then there is the larger content. One specific item is Brown accuses Churchill & his councellors of 'sacraficing the city of Coventry to protect ULTRA. I'd heard this one many times over the years, tho I dont recall it from my first read of Brown. In this case Browns presentation of this idea is no more convincing than the others I've heard or read.

There are other items, but what are others opinions of Brown's book? Can the other descriptions & analysis or opinion in Bodyguard of Lies be depended on?
    I had read about the criticisms before I bought it so I was prepared to throw it aside if it got a bit too OTT.

Other than Coventry I found it plausible enough.

I don't think Churchill 'sacrificed' a city but he had to be careful not give the game away that the Brits had cracked the German Codes.
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

The description of the early years of the British effort against the Enigma encryption machine seemed a bit off. Certainly not in agreement with the other later books on my shelf.

After pondering it a bit the past couple weeks, and some of the remarks from others on it, it appears much of Browns material came from first hand accounts. ie: Winterbothham. Unfortunatly Brown was unable to cross check these suffciently which is never a good thing. At this point my take is the book is dated to the info available in the early 1970s, which has largely been superceded by massive documentation and other interviews turned up since.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X