Ralph Peters new book Endless War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Peters new book Endless War

Has anyone read this book and if so what do you think of it? I haven't had a chance to read it yet.
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Joining in.

I usually enjoy him, I'd like to hear an opinion since I'm considering buying it.

Comment

I wouldn't know. I stopped paying attention to Peters years ago.
      "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
      --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Why is that?

Comment

I'll have to get it...

I just finished two of his novels: War For Armegedon and Twilight of Heroes. I thoroughly enjoyed them both. He has a great eye for depicting life in foreign countries. Having lived in three, and traveled in many more; these last four years I really appreciate that.

Plus I think his take on Islamic Terrorism, Islamic countries, etc. is the most accurate that I've seen.

I'll head to the US in late June, I'll save it for then.
          Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
            Why is that?
            Because his analysis of military affairs is irritatingly comic-book in style.
            "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."

Comment

Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post

In your opinion, yes?
              This book has very little to do with military affairs, I would say it covers the new world "order" of thinking.
              Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                In your opinion, yes?
                This book has very little to do with military affairs, I would say it covers the new world "order" of thinking.
                Sounds largely like a rehash of Hunntington's "Clash of civilizations" thesis.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post
                  Like how?

I'd agree he articulates in a "in your face style", sometimes more for shock value but that's probably to maintain the "telling it like it is" agenda of him.

All in all I think he's a good analyst.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                    Like how?

I'd agree he articulates in a "in your face style", sometimes more for shock value but that's probably to maintain the "telling it like it is" agenda of him.

All in all I think he's a good analyst.
                    It doesn't lend itself to real analysis much less real scholarship on military matters. Being a little polemical is ok, but you do need some real substance behind your words as well.
                    Last edited by Pilsudski; 21 Apr 10, 00:58.

Comment

I find alot of substance behind what he says (granted, currently I only read his novels and ACG column and articles, not yet any major books).

He's "calling it like it is" agend is good and important, in the future, unless we shape up he'll be one of those guys who'll have a free "I told you but you couldn't care less" card.

Eventually being a military/world affairs analysis is a bit like playing poker, you could have a great hand, know the rules inside and out, figure out a great strategy, but one wild card randomly showing can shuffle everything.

Comment

I respectfully disagree. I'd prefer Van Creveld personally.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X