Richard J. Evans Third Reich trilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard J. Evans Third Reich trilogy

Includes The Coming Of The Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power and The Third Reich at War. Anyone read it? is it worth buying?

Not read it yet, but hear positive things about it from people whose opinion I value
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I read the Third Reich at War and thought it was very well-researched and written. Some people are giving Evans' flack because he focuses a great deal on the atrocities committed by German forces, especially on the Eastern Front, and discusses how civilians in areas occupied by the Germans suffered a great deal. I guess many readers, myself included, thought he'd focus more on the actual German armed forces, their battles, campaigns, weapons, and the like. He does discuss some of these things, but not in great depth. So you may be disappointed, which I will admit feeling myself, but I still thought it was a good book overall.

I own the The Coming of the Third Reich and hope to one day actually get around to reading it.

Comment

I'm not such much interested about the military operations, they are already pretty well covered in other books, I'm more interested in reading a global history of the III Reich, looks like it might be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
          Includes The Coming Of The Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power and The Third Reich at War. Anyone read it? is it worth buying?
          Have read "Army at Dawn", "Day of Battle", "Coming of the Third Reich and Third Reich at War". All worth it, especially "Army at Dawn", which shows just how much the US had to learn the hard way about how little we really knew about taking on the Germans. The "Reich" books give excellent social / political background to the military ( and often better known) aspects of the war. As an old history instructor, "Coming of the Third Reich" hit all the major marks I wanted in explaining to my students some of the "why and how" of the rise of that regime.

Old Dragon
          Last edited by Old Dragon; 31 Mar 10, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
            I highly recommend this three set history of the Third Reich. Professor Evans delves deeply into the political and social changes that occurred before the Nazi usurpation of power as well as afterwards, through the dramatic changes forced upon the German social fabric through the process of "Gleichschaltung" and the brain washing of the masses, especially the youth, through media manipulation.

Professor Evans is no apologist attempting to foist off any of the blame for the crimes committed in the name of Germany and racial purity, but instead portrays, in a very clinical manner, all of the reasons for the descent into the madness that ensued. Many times in the series he's denounced or criticized the theories of the apologist's as well as those that offer up the "Sonderweg" theory to try to explain the reason for the Holocaust.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X