Your favorite military book(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite military book(s)

This thread is probably made every so often, but I'll make it for another time. What is/are your favorite military book(s)?

On my bookshelf, not in order of how much I like it or anything:

1. Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden
    2. Axis of Time series by John Birmingham
    3. Tom Clancy books by Tom Clancy
    4. Return With Honor by Captain Scott O'Grady
    5. Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Since you read novels too, if you are thinking about a military career I would recommend Once an Eagle.

Comment

The Great Classics to the modern warriors.

eg. Sun Tsu-Storming Norman.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Alatriste View Post
        Since you read novels too, if you are thinking about a military career I would recommend Once an Eagle.
        I read the Readers Digest abridged version several times as a teenager.

Comment

Imo a must , as gives a decent overview of the conflict from all angles, plus more maps you can shake a stick at .

And from £4.71 - buy it quick if you don't have one already. It may be used, but you'll pick it up so often it won't matter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-Atlas-.../dp/0723003173
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I have that book too Nick

My favs are not so much individual books but sets.

I love stuff put out by Reader's Digest. 'Coffee Table books' as they are commonly termed.

Als my Time Life set, and my WW2 Encyclopedia and my Ballantines Illustrated History set.

One day the eyes will no longer permit making models much. The back will not be entertained sitting in front of a computer, and I just won't have the energy to push card board.

On that day, a life time of collecting good books will pay off
            I'll invest in a good lazy boy and a good reading lamp and be all set to be an old bugger
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Alatriste View Post
              I might-I either want to try to get a history degree of some type in college and maybe become a teacher, or go into the air force, but I'm not very good at math, and a ton of AF jobs need higher end math I think

If not that maybe the Navy, but I don't know right now.
              "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Just throwing this out.

'Jarhead' - Anthony Swofford.

Swofford's writing is stellar. Almost lyrical and poetic like some type of new millenium, existential dream.

Also, I identify because we are part of the same generation, enlisted at the same age, and experienced some of the same feelings and situations while serving as a young man at that time. The camaraderie is dead-on. But that's just me.

Still...it is a good book.

Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

Storm of Steel - http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Steel-De...7909794&sr=8-2

The German Way of War - http://www.amazon.com/German-Way-War...7909819&sr=1-1

Enemy at the Gates - http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-At-Gates...7909841&sr=1-4
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                    I forgot that was a book! I saw the movie and thought it was very well done and realistic. What's it like in comparison with the movie, I mean, is the movie just inaccurate with the book or is the movie WAY inaccurate with the book?

Haven't heard of the others though.

Oh, I just remembered I have Master and Commander also...I think I was going to read that before I deluged into Splinter Cell Endgame by Tom Clancy-really really good book-finished it in like 2 weeks it was so good.

--Hávamál

Comment

The movie is just a small part of the book and has some basis in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                        The movie is just a small part of the book and has some basis in fact.
                        Oh, so it's like The Hunt For Red October, where the movie only follows a small part of the much larger story?

The Hunt For Red October=one of my favorite Tom Clancy books, The Cardinal of The Kremlin being my favorite older one, and Splinter Cell Endgame being my favorite modern one. I want to read Red Storm Rising too sometime.

--Hávamál

Comment

Comment

I love About Face. It's as true now as it was then.

Comment

For general military tactics and strategy, in no particular order:

Sun Tsu - The Art Of War
                              Miyamoto Musashi - A Book of Five Rings
                              Carl von Clausewitz - Principles of War
                              Julius Caesar - Commentaries

First hand accounts:

Donald R. Burgett - Curahee! (Airborne training thru D-Day and beyond)
                              Ronald J. Glasser, M.D. - 365 Days (Vietnam, doctor)
                              Ed Kugler - Dead Center (Vietnam, sniper)
                              Ed Rasimus - When Thunder Rolled and Palace Cobra (Vietnam, pilot)
                              Daniel E. Evans Jr. & Charles W. Sasser - Doc: Platoon Medic (Vietnam medic)

For sheer fun:

Bernard Cornwell - The Sharpe's Rifles series
                              David Drake - Hammer's Slammers
                              All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X