Day Of Deceit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day Of Deceit

I recently read Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR & Pearl Habour. This is quite an old publication. It was released in the year 2000.

I will not attempt to discuss in detail whether the author is believable or not. There are apparently many more knowledgeable and articulate opinions on this publication. See Amazon for some what readers thought. You may also want to check out http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n8892100/

I do wonder though. EVEN ASSUMING THAT WHAT THE AUTHOR SAID IS TRUE (I.E. US CAN READ JP NAVAL COMMS VIRTUALLY 100%). There should have been a much smarter, less costly manner to align and focus the US populace. I can't imagine a nation that is as powerful as the US not being to engineer something better. For example, intercept the Japanese carrier force and see what ensues. Even if the Japanese do not shoot, enough publicity could have been generated to sway the nation. "German U-boats in the Atlantic, Japanese carriers in the Pacific, America is under siege, it is time to act." or something to that effect.

I enjoyed reading this book nonetheless. Much of it is because of its controversial nature. However, it also gives a reader who is not familiar with military intelligence an introduction of how the game is played, albeit from only the 1940s US military angle.

Originally posted by CW Ho View Post
    I recently read Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR & Pearl Habour. This is quite an old publication. It was released in the year 2000.

I will not attempt to discuss in detail whether the author is believable or not. There are apparently many more knowledgeable and articulate opinions on this publication. See Amazon for some what readers thought. You may also want to check out http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n8892100/

I do wonder though. EVEN ASSUMING THAT WHAT THE AUTHOR SAID IS TRUE (I.E. US CAN READ JP NAVAL COMMS VIRTUALLY 100%). There should have been a much smarter, less costly manner to align and focus the US populace. I can't imagine a nation that is as powerful as the US not being to engineer something better. For example, intercept the Japanese carrier force and see what ensues. Even if the Japanese do not shoot, enough publicity could have been generated to sway the nation. "German U-boats in the Atlantic, Japanese carriers in the Pacific, America is under siege, it is time to act." or something to that effect.

I enjoyed reading this book nonetheless. Much of it is because of its controversial nature. However, it also gives a reader who is not familiar with military intelligence an introduction of how the game is played, albeit from only the 1940s US military angle.

I read this one too. It makes an interesting case.

Aside from the controversy, I don't think it was so simple to organize any kind of suitable provocation. Clearly, wheter you believe this book or not, Roosevelt was deliberately provoking the Japanese. The response that would ultimately be manifested by all this would have been hard to predict though. It could have come in many forms. For example, many thought the strike would come in the Philippines.

As for your idea of sending the fleet to intercept the Japanese, this could be seen as something like protecting the ultra secret by letting Coventry be bombed. If in fact they knew where to find the Japanese, it might have been more militarily advantages in the long run not to do so. After all, the carriers were out of the way at the time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X