Authorís Impetus for New Civil War Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authorís Impetus for New Civil War Book

Preserve It Reader in Remembrance of Me: The Writings and Saga of American Civil War Soldier George W. Belles, by Ron Bardnell

To me the Civil War letters and diary entries of my wifeís great-great-grandfather, Cpl. George Belles, 139th Pa. Vols., represent the voice of the forgotten soldier--and there many. At wars end, the physically able survivors --the foot soldiers, the cavalrymen, the artillerymen, and other enlisted man and women--returned home and resumed civilian life. The store clerk once positioned in the assault line at Maryeís Heights, the farmer who took part in the daring predawn attack at Cedar Creek, the slight farm lad who bravely manned a precarious defensive position on Little Round Top, all slipped into American Civil War anonymity. Their lives changed forever, each had a story to tell. Seldom was it heard beyond the ears of family and close friends, if heard at all.

Arranged in chronological sequence, Corporal Bellesí nearly three year collection of Civil War letters and various diary entries is one such Civil War soldierís story; an engrossing firsthand account of a young manís Civil War experience, the transition of an ordinary young man to an extraordinary man. A combat veteran myself, an infantryman in Vietnam, I felt a kinship to George. His written gifts from the past had found their way to my doorstep. The forthright, foresighted soldier deeply desired his writings be preserved for the benefit of generations to come (an 1864 diary entry). Hence, Preserve It Reader in Remembrance of Me: The Writings and Saga of American Civil War Soldier George W. Belles, came to be.

It was a pleasure and privilege to fulfill Cpl. Bellesí fervent plea. My hope is readers will find this work an enjoyable, insightful reading experience that renders a greater understanding and appreciation for the life and sacrifices of the American Civil War soldier.

You can find more information on this book at http://www.authorronbardnell,com

After writing Hiram's Honor (see http://hiramshonor.blogspot.com/), I feel drawn to learning more about what the experiences of Civil War vets was after the war. The book above seems like a good one to explore and it would be good to know of others. Thanks.

Comment

It does sound like something I will soon read. Here's another good
      choice with first hand accounts.

Battlefields And Blessings V1-Civil War (Stories of Faith and Courage) (Battlefields & Blessings) (Paperback)
      Terry Tuley (Author)
      A review at Amazon:

Battlefields & Blessings a truly unforgettable means to contemplate God with each new dawn., March 5, 2007

By Midwest Book Review (Oregon, WI USA) - See all my reviews
      Compiled by Baptist pastor and Civil War enthusiast Terry Tuley, Battlefields & Blessings: Stories of Faith and Courage from The Civil War is a unique daily devotional for Christians - one that compiles true quotes and stories from Christians who served in the American Civil War. Each day of the year has a corresponding page with an anecdote concerning the uplifting power of faith, especially amidst a lethal war in which death by bullets, shrapnel, and disease were ever-present. These real-world examples of courage and faith, in the very words of the individuals who personally faced the dark hours of war, make Battlefields & Blessings a truly unforgettable means to contemplate God with each new dawn.
      17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

Working...
      X