Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dongar1
    replied
    I wish I had failed to return them to the library as a kid. I enjoyed them. Then I saw the Gregoty Peck movie... I thought it was good too.

Leave a comment:

• pp(est)
    replied
    I've read all but the last of the series (the Admiral). I've thoroughly enjoyed it. True, it does get sometimes a bit too deep blue hero stuff for my cynical taste, but this is made up by the superb writing.

I've tried but cannot get into the Aubrey/Maturin series, it seems somehow too dragged out for my tastes. I've read only the first novel of the series. Maybe I'll give it another go and see if I warm up to it more.

I recently enjoyed reading Julian Stockwyn's Kydd and plan to read more of that series. Not quite as well written as Hornblower, but the life at lower decks was very interesting approach for me. I wonder though, whether it still works when the series get's to the more familiar ground above deck.

Leave a comment:

• LtCol
    replied
    Love the series and I have first editions of all but one. Great fun, well developed charactors, and reasonably historical accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Tsar
    replied
    I hate to be the odd man out but when I read the series I was disappointed in it and very happy when I finally finished it. His (Hornblower) constant self-doubts about his ability and worthiness got tiring.
    I know it made him more of a realistic human being then say Weber’s Honor Harrington who is absolutely convinced that she is correct at all times (a trait she shares with every other major character in the series) but it still got tiring.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Originally posted by Booy View Post
    I thought that the Hornbolwer series was great
    And if you liked the Hornblower series, give the Honor Harrington series a go too. It's set 2000 years in the future, but is modeled off of H.H.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny_Reb
    replied
    I thought that the Hornbolwer series was great

Leave a comment:

• General_Jacke
    replied
    thanks for all the feedback, i thought it was good from what i read (but i've been fooled by the first few chapters before) so i figured if there was place to get reviews on the series, this would be the place.

and i'm down for any war movie, and any sinatra movie...but a sinatra war movie can't be beat. ^_^ please tell me he sings some where in that movie.

Leave a comment:

• skipperbob
    replied
    C.S.Forester is the best! His Hornblower saga is well worth reading and then reading again - fascinating and exciting!

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied
    Personally, I much prefer the Aubrey/Maturin series (I believe there are 20 in the series) by Patrick O'Brian. I get absorbed in them even though I know nothing of ships nor the sea.

Good reading!

Hugh

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    C.S. Forester - a classic naval fiction writer!

I have been fortunate enough to read all of the Hornblower books - I think there were about elevwen of them - from the first to the last, and they made a lasting impression.

Forester also wrote The Gun, made into a film with Sinatra, Grant and Lauren called The Pride and the Passion.

He is also noteworthy for Rifleman Dodd, which preceded the Sharpe series by Cornwell and perhaps the most memorable book to becomea film in history, The African Queen. His book about the Bismarck was also adapted into the film Sink The Bismarck!

Perhaps his only rivals are Douglas Reeman, who also wrote as Alexander Kent, and the author of the Master and Commander series.

Leave a comment:

• FTCS
    replied
    Have read all the books in this series and throughly enjoyed them. Would highly suggest that you read them in order.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    I've read the first book. It's collection of short stories. Really enjoyed it and will be reading through the rest of the series as the mood hits me. There is also a British TV series which is quite good - about 13 episodes. It's best to watch them in order (Hornblower series of 8 episodes - covers the first three novels, before Horation Hornblower: The Adventure Continues). Ian Grufford plays Hornblower and in a few episodes Jamie Bamber plays his friend Archie.

Last edited by Duncan; 04 Dec 09, 21:19.

Leave a comment:

• General_Jacke
    started a topic Hornblower series?

Hornblower series?

i was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the horatio hornblower series

the series starts pre-napolianic war, and i assume it continues into and through the war, just read the first chapter of the first book about a week ago and B&N seemed good, but i was hoping for some feed back.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X