W.E.B. Griffin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.E.B. Griffin

Have seen little or no mention of the author W.E.B. Griffin. I am an avid reader of both fiction and non-fiction dealing with the military. I started reading "The Brotherhood of War" when the first book came out in pocket books. I now have the complete works of that series plus "The Corps" in hardbacks and have probably re-read more than once. I would have to say that Griffin is my favorite author followed by Clancy. However, there are quite a few of the Clancy books that I do not care for.
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
    Have seen little or no mention of the author W.E.B. Griffin. I am an avid reader of both fiction and non-fiction dealing with the military. I started reading "The Brotherhood of War" when the first book came out in pocket books. I now have the complete works of that series plus "The Corps" in hardbacks and have probably re-read more than once. I would have to say that Griffin is my favorite author followed by Clancy. However, there are quite a few of the Clancy books that I do not care for.
    Welcome to the forums.

Those series are good,you should also check out his new "Presidential Agent" series as well.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Yes welcome, I've read the very same books.... good taste.

Enjoy, and I hope to see you around in the forums FCTS.
      In Vino Veritas

Comment

Senior Chief,

Bought The Lieutenants and The Captains for a buck a copy yesterday at a local thrift store. They were stuffed in the back of a bookcase.

Didn't have time yesterday to unload the two and three deep collection of used books to see if more of the series were hidden there. Will tear the place up later this week.
        Skip

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
          I started reading "The Brotherhood of War" when the first book came out in pocket books.
          Ernie, me too. In fact I've just yesterday finished re-reading The Berets which is the first one of his fiction books I ever read, and started on The Generals today.

I've read most of his The Corps series but I never found them to be as good as the first books. I have to admit that I've never read any of the other series he's written.

I have also enjoyed his non-fiction books he's published under his real name, WE Butterworth. I have a first edition of his history of US Army aviation that he wrote in 1971 called Flying Army.

Cheers,
          Dan.

Butterworth and an admiring fan.
          So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

I have read quite a bit of his work. Seeing how his son, William E Butterfield does most of the writing in his latest books, I now wonder how much he did in the past. A major difference is the son does much less repeating of the story line than his Dad did.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Griffin is a great writer, although his "Castillo" series is kind of lightweight. His law enforcement series was excellent, as are his war-based series.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I don't read him much anymore.ni can't decide if it's because I don't like him as much, or if I'm ambivalent.

Comment

Just finished The Lieutenants and The Captains. Certainly interested enough to dig up the rest of the series. If the writing goes to hell somewhere during the journey, that's the way it goes. So far, very easy to read.

As The Senior Chief has mentioned Clancy and Griffin both do good work and both are fun to read. W.E.B. Griffin, as a new reader of his work, appeals as more realistic--maybe more real.

I like authors who give me a character(s) and let me follow them through sucessive stories.
                  Skip

Comment

I have read almost all of his books but his latest few, and they are the ones co-wrote with his son. His son just does not seem to have the talent that his father had. His books lack warmth. I liked the way the old man handled love relationships in his books, they seemed to ring true, and there are several other things that just felt more correct than the new stuff.
                    Homo homini lupus

Comment

I am trying to read his latest book. I normally can't put down the father's work, but I am having trouble concentrating on this story.

Pruitt

Comment

I greatly enjoyed Griffith's books, and felt that his characters had more depth to their personalities than Tom Clancy's. Definitely a prolific and entertaining writer. And, he got close enough to many of the personalities his novels are based on, and captured their times and personas very well.
                        dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Originally posted by skiplc View Post
                          Senior Chief,

Bought The Lieutenants and The Captains for a buck a copy yesterday at a local thrift store. They were stuffed in the back of a bookcase.
                          These books are very entertaining, but quite spotty when it comes to historical accuracy. They are littered with errors regarding historical personages, events and so forth.

Comment

The Brotherhood Of War series were his best. The Corps series left me feeling let down, because I thought he was going to cover all of WW2 before jumping ahead to Korea. Historical accuracy will drive you nuts if you don't take an alternate history point of view. I haven't read any of the others.

Comment

The main problem is not everyone served in all campaigns. Griffin painted himself into a corner by making him an officer courier. You aren't supposed to give them rifle companies! Him working for General Pickering also has kind of dried up plot lines. Jumping ahead to Korea seems reasonable. Being a Mustang will also probably get him on the forcibly retired list after Korea. It is too long a period after Korea to see him still in at say Colonel when Vietnam starts.

Pruitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X