The War After Armagedon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War After Armagedon

I was wondering if anyone read this book by Ralph Peters?

I often read his column in the ACG magazine and can connect to some of the things he says, it also sparks an interest due to it's dealing with the worst case scenario of the Irani threat.

So did anyone read it and can give his opinion about it?

Not bad

Story takes place about 20 or so years in the future. Islamic extremist have nuked Israel. Los Angles and Las Vegas has been also hit with nuclear weapons. Europe has started rounding up Muslims and probably exterminating them but this is not the main point of the book, just a side note. Main story line revolves around war in what was Israel. There are two main US components in the war; The US Army along with US Marines the other unit is the "Military Order of the Brotherhood of Christ" (MOBC) made up of military personnel and volunteers. The MOBC main objective is to reclaim the Holy Land (read as modern day Crusaders) and exterminate all Muslims. The opposing force is the Islamic army. Electronic warfare is so prevalent that about 100% of all electronics are useless. Basically the plot of the book is the iniquity of fanaticism in the nature of any faith, the danger of nuclear proliferation, and the military's reliance on electronics that may prove too fragile in a modern war. There is a major difference between how the Commanding General of the Army and Marines and the Commanding Genera of the MOBC are fighting this war.

I enjoyed the book and on a scale of 1 to 10 rate it about a 7.
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Got it.

Any estimation on if the book would be translated to Hebrew?

Is there a solid place you know where I'd be able to buy the original English copy that would ship to Israel?
      (Amazon usually don't ship to Israel for some strange reason...)

Comment

Strange that Amazon doesn't ship to Israel???? You might try Barnes & Nobel
        www.bn.com. I checked and they show Israel as a "valid" shipping address. other than that I have no idea

Comment

I think I might pick this book up, too. I was one of the few individuals whom enjoyed Peter's much under appreciated The War in 2020, which explored an apocalyptic scenario involving a Japan/Middle East attack on Russia. It's a bit out there what with its sci-fi weaponry and casting Japan as a 21st Century aggressor, but I found it a thoroughly imaginative war story. It was also incredibly dark, which suited the subject matter immensely.
          Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 17 Oct 09, 17:25.
          Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargamer Scott View Post
            I think I might pick this book up, too. I was one of the few individuals whom enjoyed Peter's much under appreciated The War in 2020, which explored an apocalyptic scenario involving a Japan/Middle East attack on Russia. It's a bit out there what with its sci-fi weaponry and casting Japan as a 21st Century aggressor, but I found it a thoroughly imaginative war story. It was also incredibly dark, which suited the subject matter immensely.
            He does a great job with his novels. Another good one is Red Army where he protrays an Soviet/Warsaw Pact attack NATO all from the perspective of Soviet characters.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
              He does a great job with his novels. Another good one is Red Army where he protrays an Soviet/Warsaw Pact attack NATO all from the perspective of Soviet characters.
              Yeah Red Army was really good.

Kind of the Russian version of Team Yankee.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Red Army was excellent. Truth be told, I think the '80s turned out some of the finest mil-fic ever. Clancy, Peters, Coyle...their finest work was done during the twilight years of the Cold War.
                Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

Read TWAA

It was a very interesting book. It was a good read, took me only three days to read it...which says a lot....usually takes me two weeks to get through a book. Thing about having a job, family, and other things that take up time.

Scenario concerning Europe I found most plausible and likely to happen some day in the future.

I wonder though about the thought that Christians would be able to swell in such numbers and collective power to absorb such political power as the book surmises. The Christians acted more like Islamo-fascist than Christians. I believe I can say with relatively few nay-sayers that Church is often filled with the social gatherers rather than the deeply religious, who the former seemed to be the protagonist of the MOBIC side which gives the storyline credence.

I doubt though, that any enemy in the future will be able to sustain such workable electronic equipment during a war that has gone nuclear to affect air power, comms the way it does in the book.

But what really gave me pause to thought, was the political-religious aspect Stateside, I can see it happening more on a regional level v National.
                  "Never push the red button" Daffy Duck

Comment

Originally posted by M1A1BP View Post
                    I

I doubt though, that any enemy in the future will be able to sustain such workable electronic equipment during a war that has gone nuclear to affect air power, comms the way it does in the book.

But what really gave me pause to thought, was the political-religious aspect Stateside, I can see it happening more on a regional level v National.
                    Technically, in the book the war has not "gone nuclear". The "opening" rounds of the war were with nuclear weapons, after that it became a conventional war. Who is to say what is or is not plausible in the future with electronic warfare. As far as the political-religious aspect goes. It doesn't take a lot for a leader to emerge and expound their beliefs to the point that they gather many followers. Especially after a event involving nuclear weapons used by a power that could be seen as a religious extremist society.

The book was well written and I have enjoyed other novels by this author.

Comment

Well, I finally mustered enough time to read it, here are my thoughts (I'll try to avoid spoilers but they might be in there...)

Objectively speaking, it is an enjoyable read, fairly accurate (only noticed little mistakes here and there, mostly in the theater of operations and I probably notice it only because I live in it...),maybe a ted too much conspiracies in it, but most importantly it DOES make you think, even after finishing it, do we over rely on technology? (I thought so before hand...) how do we deal with extremists that blend into civilians? how do we prevent ourselves from becoming the extremists? etc.

On a subjective note I have to say I'm disappointed.
                      This might not speak to most people, some might even find me a whiner, but I think the representation of the Jews/ex-Israelis (Israeli Exile Forces) was un-called for.

The IEF appeared in 2 main events (once waiting to be deployed to the war, with the commander asking to be in the tip of the spear to liberate "his" land, similar I'd say to the Free France Army in 1944, second time as they disobeyed orders and were found to be traitors...)and held a very marginal effect on the story, so marginal that I think the story and the author would have benefited more if they weren't represented at all.

I enjoy reading Mr. Peters' column in the ACG magazine and usually find myself nodding in agreement while doing so (that's one of the main reason I picked the book up in the first place), I do hope it was done innocently.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X