No announcement yet.

Books by David Glantz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Red Army's Epic Disaster in Operation Mars, 1942 was $ 14.96 from Amazon, with shipping; Battle of Kursk, $12.21, also from Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
      I have "When Titans Clash" and "The Stumbling Collossus" both good. Glantz is a bit dry, not for the Jr. grogs.
      (bold added)

I really don't like that notion.

Fact is, while Glantz book's are very good content-wise, there are so many other great books that have equally useful content but don't kill you trying to read them. And that includes those of Glantz' works that are less affected. Not reading those Glantz books that are like torture is not an indicator of a "Jr." grog.

That reminds me I wanted to give my list of thumbs up or down.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
        (bold added)

I really don't like that notion.

Fact is, while Glantz book's are very good content-wise, there are so many other great books that have equally useful content but don't kill you trying to read them. And that includes those of Glantz' works that are less affected. Not reading those Glantz books that are like torture is not an indicator of a "Jr." grog.

That reminds me I wanted to give my list of thumbs up or down.
        Look he is a very adult, shcolarly, dry writer with no flare for any fanboyism or sensation, that's jut that.

Comment

Look he is a very adult, shcolarly, dry writer with no flare for any fanboyism or sensation, that's jut that.
          His narratives in the books, are much like his talks and presentation. His presentations are classic staff college--here's the facts as I have discerned them.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

I consider myself a Jr. grog , btw.

Comment

Exactly.

Now let's stop the silly notion that real man grognards must have read all his books. There are too many better written books, all with equal quality content (by Glantz and others), for a person to read in a lifetime.

I also suspect that many (not you) just skim over these things and didn't try the cover-to-cover thing.

Comment

Exactly.

Now let's stop the silly notion that real man grognards must have read all his books. There are too many better written books, all with equal quality content (by Glantz and others), for a person to read in a lifetime.

I also suspect that many (not you) just skim over these things and didn't try the cover-to-cover thing.
                Not all but familiarity is at least recommended. I struggled to finish When Titans Clashed because it was a pretty broad book, and I am fairly familiar with the broad aspect of the war, but I did read to cover to cover. Reading Stumbling Collossuss was a lot easier because it had lots of info that was new to me, I read it all but I skipped the chapter on aviation.

Comment

I read it all but I skipped the chapter on aviation.
                  Why skip this one, when it could have given you a bird's eye view?
                  Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                  (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Hey now! Speak for yourself. While I find Mssr. Glantz's treatises trying, I also consider them not only unbiased, but also highly informative and very illustrative. (Now stop trying to confuse the facts with me.)

Comment

Dry facts and numbers are his strong ponts. Lots of good charts, I have referenced the charts in When Titans Clashed at least a few times.

Comment

"The Soviet-German War 1941-1945: Myths and Realities: A Survey Essay" is an essay presented at Clemson University (Strom Thurmond Institute of Government and Public Affairs) in 2001. It's a pretty decent read.
                        Last edited by VancePolk; 13 Feb 09, 19:27.
                        "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

Not quite on the topic, but

I still can't beleave Glandz still said there was no tank ramming to the best of his knowledge during Kursk. I got a reply from him second hand from someone who is/was in contact with him about a yea or so ago.

Cheers, it was a war game kind of thing at the time, but still, it makes me wonder on certain things myself. The books that I have read from him are pretty good otherwise.

Tom

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X