War Made New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
    Hullo Legate your last remark made me chuckle!! No I am not that clever I'm afraid, it's just that I spent the first half of my life ( apart from war service) living on the Channel coast where it would all have happened and the subject has always interested me!
    Don't get me wrong,I do read up on WWII. I have added Hewett's book to my list.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Well I just finished the book. I have to say it is a good read,but until you get to the current era,there is nothing groundbreaking. He did at the end of the book mention two interesting tidbits that got my attention.

1: That the loss of the Vietnam War can be attributed to the US military buying into the "pentomic" military concept.

2: That the US military today still is geared towards defeating the Republican Guard,and still has not begun transitioning towards combating Al-Queda.

Thoughts?
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Another way to put it.

There is a difference between having a technology and understanding it and organizing your military to take maximum advantage of it. An example today would be a small country that buys a limited number of expensive jet fighters that don't match any realistic military threat it faces.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
          Well I just finished the book. I have to say it is a good read,but until you get to the current era,there is nothing groundbreaking. He did at the end of the book mention two interesting tidbits that got my attention.

1: That the loss of the Vietnam War can be attributed to the US military buying into the "pentomic" military concept.

2: That the US military today still is geared towards defeating the Republican Guard,and still has not begun transitioning towards combating Al-Queda.

Thoughts?
          I agree with you. Those are the parts I don't think he got right. He's pretty good with the historical stuff, but the more the book comes closer to the modern era, the more I disagree with Boot's conclusion.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X