War Made New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Made New

I just finished Max Boot's 2006 book on the interrelationship of war and technology.

Who else has read it? What did you think?
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

I have it in my "to read pile", but there are 4 books ahead of it.........
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
      I have it in my "to read pile", but there are 4 books ahead of it.........
      Same here,I probably wont get to it until early 2009 at the soonest. Got some Napoleon stuff in front of it.
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

On second thought...

I moved the book up the queue,I am about twenty pages in. Very interesting so far,seems I am going to have to study up on Charles VIII of France in the future.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
          I moved the book up the queue,I am about twenty pages in. Very interesting so far,seems I am going to have to study up on Charles VIII of France in the future.
          Any more updates?.............
          Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
            Any more updates?.............
            Well,I am about 100 pages in(or close to it). It is very interesting reading. He has put forth the thesis taht there have been/are four military revolutions,The gunpowder revolution,The first industrial revolution,the second industrial revolution,and the information revolution-which is currently being played out.
            He has selected several battles as representive for each era. They break down thus:
            The Gunpowder Revolution-
            The Spanish Armada
            Breitenfeld and Lutzen 1632
            Assaye 1803
            The First Industrial Revolution-
            Koniggratz 1866-This where I am at now
            Omdurman 1898
            Tushima 1905
            The Scond I ndustrial Revolution-
            France 1940
            Pearl Harbor 1941
            Tokyo bombings 1945
            The Information Revolution-
            Desert Storm 1991
            Afghanistan 2001
            Iraq 2003-2005

Boot's main thesis,thus far,is that technology combined with proper staff administration has paved the way for many nations rise to prominence. For instance,he states that the development of the truck gun carriage and side gun ports for sailing ships are the key reasons for the defeat of the Spanish Armada. He also noted that the English had something of an Admiralty for some time wheras the Spanish did not. An Admiralty is immportant in order to ensure that ships are properly armed and supplied.

I don't want be a spoiler,so I won't get into many details unless you ask for them. This book is a great read thus far!

Comment

Yes, I'm reading it now. Not too bad at all.

But so far, no startling new insights provided by Max Boot.

Comment

Well,I am about 100 pages in(or close to it). It is very interesting reading. He has put forth the thesis taht there have been/are four military revolutions,The gunpowder revolution,The first industrial revolution,the second industrial revolution,and the information revolution-which is currently being played out.
                He has selected several battles as representive for each era. They break down thus:
                The Gunpowder Revolution-
                The Spanish Armada
                Breitenfeld and Lutzen 1632
                Assaye 1803
                The First Industrial Revolution-
                Koniggratz 1866-This where I am at now
                Omdurman 1898
                Tushima 1905
                The Scond I ndustrial Revolution-
                France 1940
                Pearl Harbor 1941
                Tokyo bombings 1945
                The Information Revolution-
                Desert Storm 1991
                Afghanistan 2001
                Iraq 2003-2005

Boot's main thesis,thus far,is that technology combined with proper staff administration has paved the way for many nations rise to prominence. For instance,he states that the development of the truck gun carriage and side gun ports for sailing ships are the key reasons for the defeat of the Spanish Armada. He also noted that the English had something of an Admiralty for some time wheras the Spanish did not. An Admiralty is immportant in order to ensure that ships are properly armed and supplied.

I don't want be a spoiler,so I won't get into many details unless you ask for them. This book is a great read thus far!
                What are you saying, that the Spanish Armada did not have those things?
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                  What are you saying, that the Spanish Armada did not have those things?
                  No,that is not what I'm saying. The Spainards had these,but the Armada only had twenty Galleons. The majority of the fleet were either armed merchantmen or transport hulks,neither of which are conducive to an artillery battle.

The main failure of the Spanish was that they approached naval warfare the same way they did land warfare. They were focused on boarding the English ships whereas the English with their superior manuevering and artillery were focused on standing off and blasting the Spanish. There were more Spanish soldiers than sailors in the Armada.

I guess my previous post was confusing,soory about that.

Comment

You made me more curious, so I started it last night. I'm just up to the Armada. I didn't know about Charles VIII and his use of artillery. So far an enjoyable read.

Look what we've become...........it's like an Oprah bookclub.
                    Lance W.

Comment

I've reached the flat-top torpedoes version. It started off well, but as it got closer and closer to our times, the book is beginning to become too sweeping in its conclusions. And I disagree with a couple of its analyses.

Comment

No,that is not what I'm saying. The Spainards had these,but the Armada only had twenty Galleons. The majority of the fleet were either armed merchantmen or transport hulks,neither of which are conducive to an artillery battle.

The main failure of the Spanish was that they approached naval warfare the same way they did land warfare. They were focused on boarding the English ships whereas the English with their superior manuevering and artillery were focused on standing off and blasting the Spanish. There were more Spanish soldiers than sailors in the Armada.

I guess my previous post was confusing,soory about that.
                        O.K. legate no offence meant or taken! Get the feeling your main interest is around that period of History but if I am wrong and we are on the subject of Armada's their is a very interesting book out at present called 'Hitlers Armada' by Geoff Hewett on the subject of the proposed 'Sealion' invasion of England.It is well worth a read.
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                          O.K. legate no offence meant or taken! Get the feeling your main interest is around that period of History but if I am wrong and we are on the subject of Armada's their is a very interesting book out at present called 'Hitlers Armada' by Geoff Hewett on the subject of the proposed 'Sealion' invasion of England.It is well worth a read.
                          No ffence was taken,in fact your previous post was a valid question.

You would be right about my interest in that period of history,I just love the Gunpowder Era.

If you keep pushing that book,I'm gonna think you wrote it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
                            I've reached the flat-top torpedoes version. It started off well, but as it got closer and closer to our times, the book is beginning to become too sweeping in its conclusions. And I disagree with a couple of its analyses.
                            Which analyses would those be?

Comment

No ffence was taken,in fact your previous post was a valid question.

You would be right about my interest in that period of history,I just love the Gunpowder Era.

If you keep pushing that book,I'm gonna think you wrote it!
                              Hullo Legate your last remark made me chuckle!! No I am not that clever I'm afraid, it's just that I spent the first half of my life ( apart from war service) living on the Channel coast where it would all have happened and the subject has always interested me!
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X