Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Book Examines German Fanaticism in World War II

New Book Examines German Fanaticism in World War II

A monumental war history in German, which has just been completed after 30 years of work, explores a question that preoccupies modern Germans: why Nazi Germany fought on, defying all military logic, to the bitter end.
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

New Book Examines German Fanaticism in World War II

Germans fought to the bitter end because they knew what the Soviets had in store for them, a payback for the atrocities the former committed in Russia from June 22, 1941 until they were forced out of that country.
    Some still held out hope that the Fuehrer would come up with miracle weapons as promised so that defeat could be turned into victory. Of course, this was a huge delusion but Germany had been in the grip of said same since Hitler came to power.
    Germans could not believe that an "inferior" people such as Russians could defeat the "master race." WRONG!
    Peace is Our Profession

Comment

Thanks Jim. Much of the war fought by Germany can be described as lacking much in the way of strategic planning, and it's defeat was no different. It is easy to say in hindsight, but maybe German officers truly believed there was always a modicum of hope that they could fight off the combined armies against them - but anyone near the top surely knew Hitler had gone mental and lacked the military sense to realistically asses what was going on. I think it would be an interesting study as to why the top generals kept going back out to fight a war they knew was already well past lost. That the German people kept fighting is no surprise as they really had no choice to but survive as best they could. Not like they could ring up the top brass and request an end to the conflict.

Not sure I have time to read a 10-volume work though.
      Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how much this work complement's Omer Bartov's "Hiter's Army" and "The Eastern Front, 1941-45, German Troops and the Barbarization of Warfare".
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X