Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Heinz Guderian's "Achtung-Panzer!" worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Heinz Guderian's "Achtung-Panzer!" worth it?

Hello,this is my first post.

I was wondering if "Achtung-Panzer!" is worth a read since I might buy it.

Any recommendations/advice?

For Historical information, yes. If you are planning to command a Panzer division it's a bit dated

Comment

Memoirs are always good for a contemporary's perspective, but one has to balance the memoir against the weight of evidence. The big three for Americans in memoirs has been Manstein, Guderian and von Mellenthin. Only von Mellenthin fought on the eastern front through part of 1944, the other two did not fight the Red Army when it hit its stride.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

It's always interesting seeing operations from a German perspective, but Guderian blames just about everyone else but Germany for what unfolded, and of course claims he didn't have an inkling of the ‘real’ Jewish situation.
        Wish I saved my 40 bucks to tell the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
          Memoirs are always good for a contemporary's perspective, but one has to balance the memoir against the weight of evidence. The big three for Americans in memoirs has been Manstein, Guderian and von Mellenthin. Only von Mellenthin fought on the eastern front through part of 1944, the other two did not fight the Red Army when it hit its stride.
          I would humbly submit that managing the disaster after Stalingrad counts as fighting the Red Army when "it hit its stride".

I found Guderians memoir interesting for the parts where he described his tenure as Inspector General of Panzertruppen and his efforts to reign in the rampant waste in German weapons development, manufacturing, and experimentation.

Beyond that, memoirs, especially memoirs of German generals post-WW2 tend to be a bit self-serving, so take with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post

I would humbly submit that managing the disaster after Stalingrad counts as fighting the Red Army when "it hit its stride".

I found Guderians memoir interesting for the parts where he described his tenure as Inspector General of Panzertruppen and his efforts to reign in the rampant waste in German weapons development, manufacturing, and experimentation.

Beyond that, memoirs, especially memoirs of German generals post-WW2 tend to be a bit self-serving, so take with a grain of salt.

Nonetheless, I found Guderian's account of his 4th Panzer Division's encounter before Mtsensk against a reinforced Soviet tank brigade stalled his approach to Tula in early October 1941 a compelling read. He found the Division's panzer brigade commander frazzled and dispirited by the Soviet resistance and performance, as well as the T-34's and KV's fighting capability. Guderian called forward a technical team to study the enemy tanks' surprising capabilities.
            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X