'The Bridges at Toko-Ri" Michener and "The Hunters" Salter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The Bridges at Toko-Ri" Michener and "The Hunters" Salter

Been reading these two books for fun. I didn't like "The Hunters" very much, got about two thirds of the way through and just bogged down. Too much inner self doubt and never figuring out what your purpose in life is I guess. The movie "The Hunters" is a whole rewrite, somewhat based on the novel.

I am about two thirds through "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" and love it, great action novel. The movie follows the novel better than most movies based on a novel.

ce5soh8gvotkdazald1r.jpg

Bridges was a good book and a good film.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

This might be interesting...

'Such Men as These: The Story of the Navy Pilots Who Flew the Deadly Skies over Korea' by David Sears

Using Michenerís notes, author David Sears tracked down the actual pilots to tell their riveting true stories. The result, Such Men As These, brims with action-packed accounts of combat, from the icy, windswept decks of aircraft carriers to the treacherous skies over Korea, while providing unforgettable portraits of the pilots whose skill and sacrifice made epic history.
      https://www.amazon.com/Such-Men-Thes.../dp/0306820102

51ygvKAiIaL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I would like to watch all of "Men of the Fighting" only seen parts
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_of_the_Fighting_Lady

220px-Men_of_the_Fighting_Lady.jpg

Comment

I need to read both of these to compare them to the movies. I'm disappointed that "The Hunters" will not be good. I guess there is no beatnik pilot (played by Robert Wagner).

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
          I need to read both of these to compare them to the movies. I'm disappointed that "The Hunters" will not be good. I guess there is no beatnik pilot (played by Robert Wagner).
          There is no Kristen and no type of Robert Mitchum character. Pell is a card shark who is not some naive kid, he is skillful, deceptive, knows how to manipulate people and situations.

Comment

When I sit here and think about it, much of the movie "The Hunters" is based around one sentence fragment used in the novel. Cpt. Saville is closing with a target to get a shot on a mig, other migs are fast approaching from the rear. Cpt Saville trusting his wingman to say "break" at the last moment, giving him the chance to hit the mig he is chasing but not get shot down. Afterwards the wingman says you must of been an iceman to have done that. (or something like that, too lazy to dig through the book). This is the only mig Cpt Saville gets confirmed in the novel. Pell racks up five in the same period and becomes an ace.

In the movie the Squadron Commander "Dutch" says of Mitchem's character, "the iceman cometh." I guess you can say the use of that one word in the novel inspired the movie writer to develop a whole new type character than the original protagonist. Mitchem's character is implied to have been an ace in WWII and just quickly adding to his kllls.keeping on par with Pell.

The problem with "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" its a novella, only maybe sixty pages.
            Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 28 Jun 19, 06:31.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X