Current Favourite Fictional Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Favourite Fictional Book?

Not actually reading them, but over hearing my wife read the Harry Potter books to our kids. Thoroughly enjoying.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Enjoying David Ignatius' novels on CIA operatives and actions--Body of Lies, Agents of Innocence, The Increment, The Quantum Spy.....
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Reading a James Rollins book - The Bone Labyrinth - based on the theory of intermingling of homo Neanderthalus, Cro Magnon and Denisovan subspecies in the origin of modern homo Sapiens. I prefer fiction that is solidly based on scientific and historical fact to support a tight plot. Rollins is one of the few that has mastered that.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Reading a James Rollins book - The Bone Labyrinth - based on the theory of intermingling of homo Neanderthalus, Cro Magnon and Denisovan subspecies in the origin of modern homo Sapiens. I prefer fiction that is solidly based on scientific and historical fact to support a tight plot. Rollins is one of the few that has mastered that.
        Sounds interesting

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

Sounds interesting
          I like him, although he does go a bit overboard at times. Rollins, Berry, Baldacci, Brown and Lee Childs and Lincoln Childs (of Preston and Childs - Tyrannosaurus Canyon). For Preston and Childs Riptide (based on the Oak Island treasure) and Thunderhead (based on the theory of cannabalism at the end of the Anasazi period).

Berry: The Amber Room, The Venetian Betrayal, The Charlemagne Pursuit, etc. All based on actual know history as the starting point.

Baldacci: because he writes a great story and often bases it on known history or government processes,and his mysteries based on the curator of the Library of Congress and the Culper Ring begun by G. Washington are outstanding.

Lee Childs because as Jack Reacher he knows the military mind and environment to a T, and often includes some interesting historical facts as well.

There are some others as well, but these authors are my current favorites, the ones I pick up automatically when I see them.

Cussler used to be on the list, but he stopped using real history a long time ago and went off on a tangent where anything goes.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Over halfway through The Bone Labyrinth, I am enjoying it. His story line is much like Indiana Jones movies and Brown's The Da Vinci Code and sequels.

Comment

I would my favorite fiction books would be the Wingman series by Mac Maloney, the Carrier and SEAL team 7 series by Keith Douglass, the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell, and the Amanda Garret series by the late James H. Cobb.

Comment

Just started Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series with "The Last Kingdom". As usual, Cornwell is a great storyteller with good historical background.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                  Just started Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series with "The Last Kingdom". As usual, Cornwell is a great storyteller with good historical background.
                  Although I quite enjoyed his Sharpe, Starbuck and other series, and look foward to other books in these series, IMO Cornwell's ''Last Kingdom'' is probably his best series.

That said, I would love to see an ending to the Starbuck serie eventually!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X