• DangerForward
    replied
    Originally posted by Zhiliang2929 View Post
    Hi i am looking for recommendations on such a book(s) :-

Books on 1. American Civil War
    2. World War I
    3. World War II
    4. Korean War

[a] A book for "total newbie" to this war, that does not assume you understand what is this and that.

[b] Focuses more on battles, battle strategies (grand, operational or strategic), commanders or generals that made the difference.

[c] Thick "textbook" style that is clearly organized with pictures, maps and diagrams.

[d] Full of profiles for the great commanders of that war.

[e] A non-narrative kind meaning i can even start reading from anywhere, any chapter, something like reference kind.

[f] Detailed enough such that i may not even need to buy another book if i choose not to on that subject.

Thanks, any recommendations on any of the topic will be most welcome.

I believe This Kind of War by T.R. Fehrenbach is a good account of Korea.

It doesn't fit all your criteria, but it seems to be an accurate account that covers the entire war, has maps, some photos, and covers to a degree both the UN and NK/Chinese forces involved. There is a short section at the end of the book about the weapons used by both sides, if you don't know alot about the primary weapons there is some information there.

I am not an expert on the subject, but IMO This Kind of War is a well written, complete history of the Korean War in one book.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    For WW1 check Barbara Tuchman's The Guns Of August. It doesn't cover the entire war but only the opening campaigns of the war. August and early September is the stopping point. But for someone who hasn't read very much on WW1, this is the book to start with.

I have always tried reading World War I but never really connected with things happening then. Will never go past the first chapter. Really hope this book can help start me this time round. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
    Check out the Osprey Campaign series books; each one deals with a particular battle or campaign and is detailed with loads of pictures, uniform illustrations, commander bios and profiles, etc.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/list...es.php/ser=CAM
    Hi, thanks for the recommendation, i have indeed checked them out, and they really do look like textbooks certainly. But i was surprised that inside really do contain a wealth of information and its easy to read and understand. There are 3D maps, order of battle, plans, opposing commander bios and everything, but the thing is, they are surely very very expensive. How do one collect them?

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    For WW1 check Barbara Tuchman's The Guns Of August. It doesn't cover the entire war but only the opening campaigns of the war. August and early September is the stopping point. But for someone who hasn't read very much on WW1, this is the book to start with.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    Check out the Osprey Campaign series books; each one deals with a particular battle or campaign and is detailed with loads of pictures, uniform illustrations, commander bios and profiles, etc.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/list...es.php/ser=CAM

Leave a comment:

• PatBC
    replied
    Time/Life books are kind of like that

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Does Such A Book Exists?

Does Such A Book Exists?

Hi i am looking for recommendations on such a book(s) :-

Books on 1. American Civil War
    2. World War I
    3. World War II
    4. Korean War

[a] A book for "total newbie" to this war, that does not assume you understand what is this and that.

[b] Focuses more on battles, battle strategies (grand, operational or strategic), commanders or generals that made the difference.

[c] Thick "textbook" style that is clearly organized with pictures, maps and diagrams.

[d] Full of profiles for the great commanders of that war.

[e] A non-narrative kind meaning i can even start reading from anywhere, any chapter, something like reference kind.

[f] Detailed enough such that i may not even need to buy another book if i choose not to on that subject.

Thanks, any recommendations on any of the topic will be most welcome.
    Last edited by Zhiliang2929; 07 Mar 08, 10:52.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X