• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rakovsky
    replied
    Molly Maguires Books

Newest: Kevin Kenny "Making Sense of the Molly Maguires"

Best Labor Perspective: Wayne G., Jr. Broehl, "The Molly Maguires"; Coleman "The Molly Maguire Riots"

Very Honorable Mentions: Barret "The Mollies were Men"

Very Dishonorable Mentions: Allen Pinkerton's novel "Molly Maguires and the Detectives" published during the trials and prejudicing their outcomes; Lewis, Arthur "Lament for the Molly Maguires" bases itself on the novel, doesn't pagecite sources, and has mistakes on basic details

Leave a comment:

• SGT Long
    replied
    I've never seen it myself, Just recall seeing it...in a "Lackluster video", no less.

Only bad thing I've seen Sean Connery in would have to be the atrocious Avengers movie.

Leave a comment:

• SGT Long
    replied
    I've never seen it myself, Just recall seeing it...in a "Lackluster video", no less.

Only bad thing I've seen Sean Connery in would have to be the atrocious Avengers movie.

Leave a comment:

• SGT Long
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Miss Saigon
    replied
    Originally posted by Zemlekop View Post
    The film is excellent (as a film of course, not history). It is worth seeing. .
    Lackluster Video told me that it might be here by tomorrow. I will post on it after I have seen the moive. Sean Connery is usually excellent, so I expect good things.

I haven't read Kenny's book but I have heard good things about it. It is probably the definitive book at the moment. It may not be what you are expecting though. Half the problem with the Molly Maguires is whether they actually existed, at least as a single sinister underground organization. The only evidence we have is McParlan's testimony. So Kenny spends a good deal of time sifting myth from evidence
    I have no preconceived notions on this. My whole intent is to try and learn something about this topic, which I really don't know much about now but am intrigued by. While there may not be a completely definitive history of the events in question, I am hoping to learn about what is known. I am hoping the two books I ordered will be able to provide a good amount of substance.
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 10 Jan 08, 00:45.

Leave a comment:

• Zemlekop
    replied
    The film is excellent (as a film of course, not history). It is worth seeing. I haven't read Kenny's book but I have heard good things about it. It is probably the definitive book at the moment. It may not be what you are expecting though. Half the problem with the Molly Maguires is whether they actually existed, at least as a single sinister underground organization. The only evidence we have is McParlan's testimony. So Kenny spends a good deal of time sifting myth from evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Saigon
    replied
    OK, since this seems to be an obscure topic I am taking a shot in the dark. I ordered two books from Amazon market place (I rarely buy new. Starving student and all). I ordered:

Making Sense of the Molly Maguires by Kevin Kenny

and

The Molly Maguires by Wayne G, Jr. Broehl

Hopefully buy the end of the week I will get to rent the film from my pathetic blockbuster who ordered it for me.

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 07 Jan 08, 00:03.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Saigon
    replied
    Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
    There was a film with Sean Connery a while back but can't think of anything else.

I had to special order the film as my worthless Blockbuster had never even heard of it. It should be here by the end of next week. Along with Matewan. I have been reading about the coal fields for my work, so I got interested in reading about the coal wars.

But I really want some books, because movies are never really that accurate. I got a book on Matewan called, "Thunder in the Mountains", but nothing yet on the Mollys. Working on it.
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 06 Jan 08, 00:26.

Leave a comment:

• SGT Long
    replied
    There was a film with Sean Connery a while back but can't think of anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Saigon
    started a topic Molly McGuirres books?

Molly McGuirres books?

Has anyone read any books on the Molly Maguires that they can recommend? Maybe something on the railroads in the anthracite coal region too?
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 04 Jan 08, 22:24.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X