Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best books about The Battle of the Bulge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    As creepingdeath pointed out this is the 63rd anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge. What books have you read that impressed you the most with their accuracy and depth of knowledge. It can be an overview of the whole battle or just a part of the entire battle.
    "Ridgways Paratroopers" devoted a large portion to both the overview of the Bulge (from both sides) and the intense details of the fighting carried out by all the Airborne and nearby units. It's one of the best books in my WWII library..., Sort of the Airborne Bible for me.
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 16 Dec 07, 16:16. Reason: Airborne
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
      "Ridgways Paratroopers" devoted a large portion to both the overview of the Bulge (from both sides) and the intense details of the fighting carried out by all the Airborne and nearby units. It's one of the best books in my WWII library....

Yep got that one too.
      Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
      If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Yikes I just looked on Amazon and the cheapest copy available is $79.95. Gulp. I'll have to try some of the local used book stores.

Just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No longer sure when I bought my copy but it has a price of $22 on the jacket, plus the S&S discount I think it was $16 something. Great story well written, but 79. Dang I guess I'll wait until it comes out on DVD Try one of the military library's, price is always good.

HP
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

As creepingdeath pointed out this is the 63rd anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge. What books have you read that impressed you the most with their accuracy and depth of knowledge. It can be an overview of the whole battle or just a part of the entire battle.
          Although it was not entirely about the battle Stephen Ambrose's " Citizen Soldiers" provided a good account.
          "He's a straight shooter with upper management written all over him"

Comment

The "Then and now" volume on the Ardennes.

I don't like McDonalds Bulge book at all. His "Company Commander" was great but once he started writing other people's history it became kind of meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              If you want to see why the 2nd, 4th, and 28th Infantry Divisions were in the Ardennes for the Bulge, read Charles MacDonald's book "Battle of the Hurtgen Forest". Deadful way to fight a battle!

Pruitt
              Has anyone read Charle MacDonald's "A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge"? I was relooking at this thread and saw references to MacDonald's other work. I picked up a hard cover First Edition in a local used book shop a year or so ago. Been on my reading list, but haven't goten to it yet.
              http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
                Has anyone read Charle MacDonald's "A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge"? I was relooking at this thread and saw references to MacDonald's other work. I picked up a hard cover First Edition in a local used book shop a year or so ago. Been on my reading list, but haven't goten to it yet.
                "A Time for Trumpets" comes up alot the 504th Parachute Infantry website, the official regimental historians think highly of it, and I plan to get a copy.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Yes!

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
                  I have and I liked it. It is on my long range book acquisition list.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

"Nuts!" was the tiltle (I think) of a great photo-history of the Bulge. I checkd it out from the Library in the High Desert though, might be a tough find. I wish I'd stolen it, now....

BoRG

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll sit down and read it after the holidays.
                      http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Some good reads above.

If you are looking for some great photos nothing beats, Images of War Battle of the Bulge" Rare Photos from the Wartime Archives.

I picked up my copy when I was in Bastogne! It was 13 Euro or 75 American dollars.

It is really good and has some shots I have never seen before.
                        There are a lot of favorite pictures for me but one of them has to be the photo of a cow walking down the streets of Bastogne, completely unaware of the carnage around him. "must have been early in the siege because I have a feeling he would have become hamburger soon!

Chad

Here is a link.
                        http://www.amazon.com/BATTLE-BULGE-I...8580612&sr=8-1
                        Last edited by Creeping Death; 25 Dec 07, 05:04.
                        "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X