Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about this series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about this series?

My godfather gave me the complete History of United States Naval Operations in World War II by Samuel Eliot Morison. I noticed in the foreword that this was comissioned by the US Navy. Given that the Navy footed the bill and that it was written before some documents would have been declassified, how accurate is it? Do you guys reccomend it?

I have just started Volume I and wanted some feedback before taking very much of it to heart. Thanks in advance for your help!

I've never read it but I have heard Morrison is an excellent historian and that the series is good.
    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

I enjoyed the series. I found it on CD at the local library so it was very easy to get into. As for the accuracy, the stuff that was declassified later would probably just add depth to the book.
      I would define true courage to be a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.
      --William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by Cherper View Post
        I enjoyed the series. I found it on CD at the local library so it was very easy to get into. As for the accuracy, the stuff that was declassified later would probably just add depth to the book.

Agreed.

It's dated but what the hell isnt....classifications aside. It's sharp, it's factual, it's detailed and in the main, objective imo.... it also still sits in the Academy library and has been and will be used by thousands.

b.
        CV

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
          Prawn heads
          by Karri
          How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
          Today, 11:40
        • Jose50
          Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
          by Jose50
          Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
          Today, 08:41
        • Von Richter
          Sagittarius Rising...
          by Von Richter
          Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
          Today, 01:19
        Working...
        X