Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (The Liberation Trilogy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (The Liberation Trilogy)

The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (The Liberation Trilogy) by Rick Atkinson came out in October of this year has anybody read it yet? If so what is your opinion of the work.
    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Just got it myself but haven't read it.Currently reading the 1st volume,An Army at Dawn.
    If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

It is a pretty good book. Mr Atkinson's chief ability is to put it together and tell a good story. I don't believe he goes into the detail he ought to. I read it when it first came out and have started to re-read it last week. That is what sparked my interest in the next book in the series. I hadn't realized it had come out till I hit the web today.
      Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
      If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

It's a good read. I enjoyed both books in the series.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

There is a tendency to want more details when reading these two books, but his goal is to illustrate the overview of battle, while picking certain highlights to detail further. In that sense, his books (to me) have been both enjoyable and educational and are easy to read. I also like the fact that he pulls no punches in criticism of Generals and leaders (or the allies in general), or praising them when they made the tough calls.

He also does a fantastic job of giving you a taste of Italian civilian life, and what allied soldiers ran into when they were on leave in Italian cities (eg, the Red Light districts).
          Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X