Does anyone else here read e-books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else here read e-books?

I've been reading books electronically for a number of years now - don't get me wrong, I love the real thing too, between my wife, children and myself we have literally thousands of books here, but reading books on a PDA is also pretty damned convenient.

I used to like reading books on my Sony Clie - actually I had two models and then they stopped making them, supporting them and the battery on my second one wouldn't hold a charge, so that was the end of that, but my smartphone runs Windows and so I was able to use that instead.

I use Mobipocket - the reader is free and you can get books through their website - there are publishers who offer books the same way, most notably Baen Books - if you are into your sci-fi like me. In fact, Jim Baen has demonstrated that it's possible to give ebooks away for FREE and it doesn't hurt sales. In the case of David Weber's Honor Harrington series for example, Baen supply a CD - bound inside the book - containing not only the book you just bought but the entire series of books to date in multiple formats - and they even encourage people to copy the disc and pass copies of the ebooks out - how's that for a business strategy?! And it works - because I do have the complete series in paper format as well...

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

I can't imagine doing that. Unless I lose my sight. Hard to take one of those to the little room with you or stick it in a jacket pocket.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
      I can't imagine doing that. Unless I lose my sight. Hard to take one of those to the little room with you or stick it in a jacket pocket.
      Eh? How so? My 'phone is a lot smaller than a paperback and is always attached to my belt - even easier to take it with me to the little room and I've yet to find a pocket that won't take it!

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Only the free ones. Some titles are to old to find or too expensive to buy (in the new or used bookstore). E books are the only way to go sometimes.
        Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
        If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

yes i do.

Comment

Nah, when I'm reading just for the sake of reading, I prefer hard copy. (Of course, I don't have a mobile device of any kind other than a laptop, so maybe if I did that might change things.)

I actually have been known to print out ebooks, up to a couple hundred pages worth.
            "I am not an atomic playboy."
            Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Occasionally I have a PDF copy of a book for school. Usually either because it is a copy of an old journal. For example, I was working with book reviews from the 18th C last week and needed the primary source. Also, I will get copies of books I am using for essays in HTML or PDF so that I can search quickly for specific passages. These books are usually in the public domain. I still have the paper copy though because I need to work from specific editions and I need to record citations properly.

Comment

A lot of companies are releasing roleplaying games as PDF files now, I've considered getting one of these to put the ones I've bought on, A bit pricey though.

Comment

prefer paper and ink to computers
                  "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                  "

Comment

I do. I have a PalmTX. I originally used it for PDFed articles, but now I've really been hitting Gutenberg HARD. I like books. I really like books, but I have no sentimental attachment to stapled or binder-clipped sheets, and I have too much paper cluttering my space as it is. There is something to be said about sitting down in your bus seat with a hundred books right there.

Reading on a screen did not take long to get used to.
                    Every 10 years a great man.
                    Who paid the bill?

Comment

Interesting, just saw on Amazon.com where they've announced their new ebook reader: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle (Amazon's product page here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FI73MA/)

A bit pricey at US$400 (no doubt for the Christmas season), but something like that might actually get me thinking about it. Doesn't mention supporting PDF files, though, which is the most common format for the ebooks I do have.

A little surfing uncovers a few other ebook readers:
                      http://www.bookeen.com/overview/ebook-overview.aspx
                      http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...umber=PRS500U2

Hm... interesting. I don't really have much need for a PDA, but something like this (text and music) is quite tempting.

Darn you, Doc S! Now I'm just going to sit and be miserable because I can't have this neat new stuff that I never even knew existed!
                      "I am not an atomic playboy."
                      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

I wouldn't buy an e-book reader that was a standalone device, but my 'phone does so much more besides, it's just one extra thing it's useful for.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I've tried..hurts my eyes reading stuff on adobe after a while.

(the Army has developed a fetish for putting all of it's TMs and regs on this format.)
                          Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Not until they produce a 1/1 page size option.

I like convenience, but until it's the same size, I'll stick with the real thing.

I don't mind ebooks for scrounging charts or graphics though.
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Generally, yes. But if a book has lots of maps/pics/tables I prefer paper version no doubts - it's hard to pack for my reader

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X