X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC237
    replied
    Wow, blast from the past..
    I used to devour these types of books back when they were originaly published.

Still might have a bunch of these boxed-up somewhere.

I had to stop reading Coyle when he added female tank crewmembers.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Vortex is ok, IF you stay away from the political side of it. The combat is interesting, but the storyline of the president and his top advisors will make you puke, unless you think that people that criminally retarded can get elected to any position above dog catcher.

Stay away from Cauldron all together. Unless you think the French can actually manipulate Germany into being it's monkey for a modern war against Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

Leave a comment:

• mirrorshades
    replied
    Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
    A very excellent comic book adaptation of Team Yankee was made into a comic book mini-series (I think around '87) Worth looking for at the local store.
    Lookee here: http://david-drake.com/tyankee.html

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Also apparently was made into a video game: http://www.mobygames.com/game/team-yankee

Leave a comment:

• Herman Hum
    replied
    If you want S. African, try "The Sixth Battle" by Barrett Tillman. Superbly realistic with a nice touch of the political. I found it quite believable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I want to read Vortex but I really hope it isn't another anti-South Africa piece. Red Phoenix gave just the right amount of stuff on political corruption to make a powerful statement but didn't drown the book in it. The NK's are sufficiently and believably evil but it's not there to convince you of it as much as make a believable story. What this accomplishes is to make a much more frightening look at war that seems very real.
    Even in the supposedly "gripping" Red Storm Rising, I was just wondering which bird would drop out of the flight to some Russian trick now only to be made up for by some never-failing superweapon that a group of guys called "the pokers" test flies like high paid cowboys out in the Mohave desert and I'm completely unconvinced of Clancy's techno-babble-superiority and I'm bored now and the book is lame blaahhhhh.................

Anyway Team Yankee scratches the surface of a modern war, but if you read about what Korea was really like for the first two years, then you appreciate the unexpected and grand nature of modern maneuver war.
    I hope Vortex has that and refrains from Harold Coyle's PC-ness because if Larry Bond went PC it would be a great disappointment.

Leave a comment:

• Herman Hum
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
    I also recommend Red Phoenix, as well ass the other book he wrote. The name alludes me at this time, but covers the fighting between Angola (with Fidel's advisors) and South Africa.
    Vortex

Leave a comment:

• SGT Long
    replied
    A very excellent comic book adaptation of Team Yankee was made into a comic book mini-series (I think around '87) Worth looking for at the local store.

Leave a comment:

• PzKfwBob
    replied
    I think I'm going to dig into the back selves of my library, see if I still have these. Red Phoenix was great as well. Those were the days when we all thought we were reading about the war we were about the fight.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Kenneally
    replied
    Originally posted by McCoy View Post
    I second that!

Red Phoenix - Larry Bond is by far a much better book!
    I also recommend Red Phoenix, as well ass the other book he wrote. The name alludes me at this time, but covers the fighting between Angola (with Fidel's advisors) and South Africa.

Leave a comment:

• McCoy
    replied
    I second that!

Red Phoenix - Larry Bond is by far a much better book!

Leave a comment:

• mirrorshades
    replied
    Hey, I can only do one at a time!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Whoa you haven't read Red Phoenix?? It is the best by far!! The others don't even come close

Leave a comment:

• mirrorshades
    replied
    Cool. Another one added to my list.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's a decent read but there are better ones you can find. Basically Harold Coyle really believes in his Army's doctrine but he is too quick to accept all of it and turn his would be criticism into war movie-ish melodrama.

A much better, and more frightening book, about modern war is Red Phoenix. I think that one really gives you a better picture of everything there is, from the general at the top to the Lieutenant right on the line. I don't doubt Coyle's quality as an officer but the Lieutenant in Red Phoenix and his experiences as a combat leader were very believable.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Kenneally
    replied
    Originally posted by Janos View Post
    Each ground squadron also had a "How battery" (M109s) for fire support.
    Janos,
    Thanks, I forgot that. 20 years since I read that book or was stationed in Germany.

But I DID say the "fighting elements".....

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X