• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool. Another one added to my list.
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Whoa you haven't read Red Phoenix?? It is the best by far!! The others don't even come close

Comment

Hey, I can only do one at a time!

Comment

I second that!

Red Phoenix - Larry Bond is by far a much better book!
          The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
          ----
          We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
            I second that!

Red Phoenix - Larry Bond is by far a much better book!
            I also recommend Red Phoenix, as well ass the other book he wrote. The name alludes me at this time, but covers the fighting between Angola (with Fidel's advisors) and South Africa.
            Kevin Kenneally
            Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
            Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

I think I'm going to dig into the back selves of my library, see if I still have these. Red Phoenix was great as well. Those were the days when we all thought we were reading about the war we were about the fight.
              Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
              Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
              David Bowie

Comment

A very excellent comic book adaptation of Team Yankee was made into a comic book mini-series (I think around '87) Worth looking for at the local store.
                Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
                  I also recommend Red Phoenix, as well ass the other book he wrote. The name alludes me at this time, but covers the fighting between Angola (with Fidel's advisors) and South Africa.
                  Vortex
                  ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                  2) Enjoy playing it
                  3) Enjoy sharing it
                  4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

I want to read Vortex but I really hope it isn't another anti-South Africa piece. Red Phoenix gave just the right amount of stuff on political corruption to make a powerful statement but didn't drown the book in it. The NK's are sufficiently and believably evil but it's not there to convince you of it as much as make a believable story. What this accomplishes is to make a much more frightening look at war that seems very real.
                    Even in the supposedly "gripping" Red Storm Rising, I was just wondering which bird would drop out of the flight to some Russian trick now only to be made up for by some never-failing superweapon that a group of guys called "the pokers" test flies like high paid cowboys out in the Mohave desert and I'm completely unconvinced of Clancy's techno-babble-superiority and I'm bored now and the book is lame blaahhhhh.................

Anyway Team Yankee scratches the surface of a modern war, but if you read about what Korea was really like for the first two years, then you appreciate the unexpected and grand nature of modern maneuver war.
                    I hope Vortex has that and refrains from Harold Coyle's PC-ness because if Larry Bond went PC it would be a great disappointment.

Comment

If you want S. African, try "The Sixth Battle" by Barrett Tillman. Superbly realistic with a nice touch of the political. I found it quite believable.
                      ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                      2) Enjoy playing it
                      3) Enjoy sharing it
                      4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
                        A very excellent comic book adaptation of Team Yankee was made into a comic book mini-series (I think around '87) Worth looking for at the local store.
                        Lookee here: http://david-drake.com/tyankee.html

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Also apparently was made into a video game: http://www.mobygames.com/game/team-yankee

Comment

Vortex is ok, IF you stay away from the political side of it. The combat is interesting, but the storyline of the president and his top advisors will make you puke, unless you think that people that criminally retarded can get elected to any position above dog catcher.

Stay away from Cauldron all together. Unless you think the French can actually manipulate Germany into being it's monkey for a modern war against Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

Comment

Wow, blast from the past..
                            I used to devour these types of books back when they were originaly published.

Still might have a bunch of these boxed-up somewhere.

I had to stop reading Coyle when he added female tank crewmembers.

Comment

Working...
                            X