Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Classics Retrieved

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Old Classics Retrieved

    The unique, 'mom & pop', hailerpublishing.com, has retrieved two out-of-print books by republishing:

    John P. Cann's "Brown Waters of Africa: Protuguese Riverine Warfare 1961-1974" and Dennis Showalter's "Railroads and Rifles: Soldiers, Technology and the Unification of Germany." I can highly recommend Showalter's work, and Cann's sounds refreshing and intriguing.

    rna

    PS Check out their other books; they should get some kind of award for saving literature.
    Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 11 Oct 07, 09:40. Reason: Correct website address
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

  • #2
    Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
    John P. Cann's "Brown Waters of Africa: Protuguese Riverine Warfare 1961-1974" ... sounds refreshing and intriguing.
    Hell yes, can't help but think of the US Mobile Riverine Force operating at about the same time in the Mekong Delta, the portugese operations in Angola are largely forgotten now. Can you give a link to the website? Google does not return any result for "hailarpublishing.com"

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the heads up.
      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
        Can you give a link to the website? Google does not return any result for "hailarpublishing.com"
        Maybe this one?

        http://www.hailerpublishing.com/
        "I am not an atomic playboy."
        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
          Thanks, Mirrorshades. My typo error.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

          Comment


          • #6
            Interesting list.

            I wonder how this one
            http://www.hailerpublishing.com/backwash.html
            got banned in the US as well as Belgium and France.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
              Interesting list.

              I wonder how this one
              http://www.hailerpublishing.com/backwash.html
              got banned in the US as well as Belgium and France.
              Don't know, outside of 1916 being a year that national leaders had little tolerance for dissidence and challenges to the war's cost in blood.
              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                The unique, 'mom & pop', hailerpublishing.com, has retrieved:

                Dennis Showalter's "Railroads and Rifles: Soldiers, Technology and the Unification of Germany." I can highly recommend Showalter's work.

                rna

                PS Check out their other books; they should get some kind of award for saving literature.

                Thanks Rick, this is great news, have been waiting quite a while to get this one.

                BTW I noticed that they offer Jean Larteguy's: The Praetorians for sale, which is good.
                Nine months ago I sent Hailerpublishing an e-mail enquiring about The Centurions. I received the answer that the rights to reprint this classic were VERY high.
                BoRG

                You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by captainsennef View Post
                  Thanks Rick, this is great news, have been waiting quite a while to get this one.

                  BTW I noticed that they offer Jean Larteguy's: The Praetorians for sale, which is good.
                  Nine months ago I sent Hailerpublishing an e-mail enquiring about The Centurions. I received the answer that the rights to reprint this classic were VERY high.
                  That's too bad. The Praetorians is the sequel. The Centurians has more on tactics and techniques, and I like its explanation how the French paratroopers gained their insight to the insurgents' thinking from their time in captivity and forced to listen to communist propaganda.

                  While doing some work in Germany during the late 1970's, I met a French officer who knew Lartequy and the characters in the book--apparently, the fictional characters are a thin vail for the real officers. These two novels combined with Trinquier, Aussaresses, and Galula books puts one right in the middle of the Algerian experience.

                  rna
                  Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I looked at the books on their site but it didn't say how much they are asking for them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's always neat to know some of my library is so rare.

                      I also have Jean Larteguy's, The Centurions but not The Praetorians although I also have Jean Larteguy's book The Hounds of Hell.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                        I looked at the books on their site but it didn't say how much they are asking for them.
                        Hit catalog, brings up books with pricing.
                        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X