Opinion of Larry Bond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I've read Red Phoenix and thought it was great. This has easily convinced me to read more of his books soon if I get the chance.
    Better than Tom Clancy because he seems to have a better editor. Red Storm Rising is excusably detailed and complex, as it is the premier WW3 book out there. His later books are just a mess though. Bond doesn't have a lot of guff in there and the book is great.

Leave a comment:

• jthomas
    replied
    I believe I have read every book Clancy and Bond have put out, and liked pretty much everything, up until some of their latest releases. I think they both eventually got into too much of a recipe-style of writing, at least with the fiction works.
    Also, they more-or-less franchised their names with the Op Center, Netwar and other series, I think I read 1.5 Op Center books and gave it up.

Looking back, when Red Storm first came out, I remember leftists sniggering because they depicted things like Aegis cruisers, B-1 bombers, M-1 tanks, Stealth fighters, and smart bombs etc. actually working as designed. This was back in the heyday of the Sgt York DIVAD fiasco and the USAF $900 ashtray and so on. Now, what, close to 30 years later, they were more right than wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Just read Flight of the Old Dog and you will think Brown is a genius. After that though he gets tedious. If I had only known that there is a market out there for military fiction based on a 12 year olds fantasy's, I'd be rich now.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Well...all I can say is that Bond is infinitely better than someone like Dale Brown.

Like any author, you either like him or you don't. I guess that is why we have so many to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• Redwolf
    replied
    Bought one of his books, didn't like it. There is too much material closer to reality and with the same amount of entertainment value available.

Leave a comment:

• Pergite
    replied
    Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
    Bond is a professional wargamer for the Pentagon, as well as a very good writer himself, particularly multiple POV settings.

He helped Clancy develop Red Storm Rising, which is based on a possible Pentagon wargame scenario.

Bond is credited with developing Harpoon, possibly with a little help from Clancy - not the other way around.

I wonder how long time the Red Storm project took from first ideas to final draft. Bond published his first Harpoon in 81, and that includes most of the scenarios for the book.

Anyway, I belive Bonds latest contribution was to the World in Conflict game.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Bond is a professional wargamer for the Pentagon, as well as a very good writer himself, particularly multiple POV settings.

He helped Clancy develop Red Storm Rising, which is based on a possible Pentagon wargame scenario.

Bond is credited with developing Harpoon, possibly with a little help from Clancy - not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Yep, he and Clancy developed Harpoon.

Leave a comment:

• BarcelonaBlom
    replied
    Red Phoenix by far.

Am I correct that Bond also helped kick the idea for Harpoon? I remember reading the 1st Edition Rulebook and the foreward by Clancy was talking about how Bond kicked out a scenario of convential war kicked off by an invasion of Iceland. (I think he helped with Red Storm Rising, I'm sure Clancy talks about it in the afterward/introduction or something).

Leave a comment:

• Warlord
    replied
    I have read all his books except Vortex and I like him. I believe his stories are very gripping and quite detailed about technological aspects.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    I like him. Red Phoenix is my favorite, followed by Vortex. Cauldron I don't really like since I don't see the Germans getting duped into being France's poodle. My only gripe about techno thrillers in general is they almost always have a megalomaniac leader who is bent on being stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin23
    started a topic Opinion of Larry Bond?

Opinion of Larry Bond?

Whats the opinion of Larry Bond and the books he has written and such? As I have read many of them such as Cauldron, Vortex, and Red Phoenix and The Enemy Within and overall they are pretty good.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X