• Show
Clear All

• Psycho's comic collection: Excalibur, Generation X, & Cable

Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Comment

My son put together at least 2 complete XMen collections, most of the spin off series collections, & God know how many partial collections of each. Statues, novels, action, figures, etc... all in sleeves or otherwise protected... & catalogued somewhere. A few are worth a couple thousand on their own. The commissioned statues are worth $3,500 - $4,500 each. Though I don't think I could ever bring myself to part with them, it astounds me just how much it all entails. Even though he had many scholarships, the value was more than enough that he could have secured a loan for all college tuition he might have needed... had he lived.

You've got several here that are worth alotta money - by themselves, Psycho!

I'd been wonderin if you might have been a fan.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
          My son put together at least 2 complete XMen collections, most of the spin off series collections, & God know how many partial collections of each. Statues, novels, action, figures, etc... all in sleeves or otherwise protected... & catalogued somewhere. A few are worth a couple thousand on their own. The commissioned statues are worth $3,500 - $4,500 each. Though I don't think I could ever bring myself to part with them, it astounds me just how much it all entails. Even though he had many scholarships, the value was more than enough that he could have secured a loan for all college tuition he might have needed... had he lived.

You've got several here that are worth alotta money - by themselves, Psycho!

I'd been wonderin if you might have been a fan.

I actually was never a fan of the XMen. I might have mentioned it somewhere before but not sure. I bought the warcomics when I was in grade school during the early 70s. During that time the only superhero stuff I bought was Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, some Superman, some Daredevil, some Captain America, some Avengers, and maybe some other stuff that doesn't spring to mind. About HS (early to mid 80s) the warcomics series came to an end and I started buying Conans but almost nothing else. During college I kept buying Conan and started on Punisher and some Spiderman stuff. After college I bought a bit here and there to finish what I was missing of the Conan and Punisher stuff.

Sometime about 92 or 93 a dude working in the nearby comic shop needed to pay a speeding ticket and offered me his collection for $300. The stuff was worth about $12000 and I suddenly had giant runs (some complete ones) of XMen (including other X series), Spiderman series, Fantastic 4, Silver Surfer, Submariner, and maybe some other stuff I can't think (still sorting thru all my stuff for the first time in about 10 years). He also had some Hulk, Thor, Teen Titans, Wonder Woman and other random stuff that gave me a good start if I wanted to start putting those sets together.

Another dude had a store near LSU and for a couple years he sold me prob at least 20 long boxes of stuff dirt cheap. I got most of the Iron Man series that you see on here from him. Helped fill in most of the Captain America missing stuff. Picked up a large batch of Dracula, Werewolf, and similar stuff from him. Got many expensive X books from him pretty cheap. I didn't see how he was making money by selling me the stuff so cheap but I have since learned he was paying almost nothing to buy collections from people.

Kept buying new stuff as it came out but mostly Spiderman, X titles, Batman, Superman, Punisher, and lots of the new independant company stuff (Lady Death, Razor, Shi, some Image comics, etc). One day sometime in 98 I realized just how much stuff was coming out and how much I was spending so I just stopped buying everything.
          Didn't buy any comics for almost a decade until Slug started that thread about Sgt Rock vs Sgt Fury. Dug out the old warcomics and saw how little I needed to finish off those sets and went to work on ebay. Took maybe a year to track down almost everything I needed. Big one is going to be GI Combat 87. Missed out on three already but there's another one up right now and I might go a bit higher for this one. After that I will work on some stuff like Captain America and Daredevil. Those go much cheaper than the big boys like Spiderman and Batman.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X