Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel's War

Just read Israel's War: A History since 1947 by Ahron Bregman

This is concise history of Arabic-Israeli conflicts from 1948 to 2001. It is written in a narrative style like a history book. Its emphasis is on

1. The political events that lead to war

2. How one war left behind unsettled issues that lead to the next war

It also tries to paint Israel's position in a different light. Some highlights :-

1. That Israel won by sheer guts and skill is not totally true. She actually has both quality AND quantity, even in 1948

2. Its leaders hyped up the threat of the Arab states to unite the country

Other interesting points :-

1. The 1967 conflict was prepcipitated by Soviet disinformation

2. The attack on the USS Liberty was deliberate

These views were also offered in a book by Michael B. Oren: Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East. I will not be surprised of there are other authors who have also referenced these events in a similar light.

If you are looking for insights into the behaviour and reasoning behind the Arab and Israeli leaders, then you will be disappointed. This book is a chronology. The Oren book has that but it only covers the Six Day war.

Overall, a good read to get a concise overview of 50+years of Arab-Israeli conflicts.

Originally posted by CW Ho View Post
    2. The attack on the USS Liberty was deliberate
    Logically I cannot believe this could be true. It makes no sense to me at all. Yet some people really believe this. What evidence did the book present?

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
      Logically I cannot believe this could be true. It makes no sense to me at all. Yet some people really believe this. What evidence did the book present?
      There is some information on Wikipedia, with a lot of links for further reading. I have trouble believing this. The motivations I have heard of are drawing the US into the war, hiding the murder of 100s of POW by Isreal, and keeping preperations for a surprise attack on Syria from the US. After some thought, these all sound pretty thin to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident
      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
        these all sound pretty thin to me.
        Me too. I cannot imagine any intrigue the Israelis could attempt that would be worth the risk of jeopardizing their principle source of financial and military support.
        Last edited by Miss Saigon; 20 Aug 07, 12:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
          Me too. I cannot imagine any intrique the Israelis could attempt that would be worth the risk of jeopordizing their principle source of financial and military support.
          In 1967, Isreal's greatest benefactor was not the United States, but France, as detailed by Seyour Hersch in his book The Samson Option: Israel's Nuclear Arsenal and American Foreign Policy. It's a pretty interesting read, to say the least. Indeed, the US' relationship with Israel was a lot more . . . . complicated during Israel's first twenty years than it has been over the following thirty.
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

On page 89, the author claims that recorded radio conversations between Israeli pilots and their HQ clearly indicated that the pilots KNEW that the ship was American. However there is no official source listed for this piece of information in the biblography. Maybe, there isn't. The author was writing what he believed to be true.

On the next page, the author indicated that quotes from the Report of the Israeli Examining Judge - Yerushami that positive id of the Liberty was only achieved when a helicopter was sent to render assistance after the attack was a lie. Again there is no specific source mentioned.

So based on what is published in the book, there is no irrefutable evidence listed.

Comment

Hmm. Interesting. I think I'll read the book.

At the moment, I'm rather skeptical about the claim that Israel had a quantitative and qualitative advantage in 1948.

Ditto on the LIBERTY too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X