Gamebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamebooks

This may be old news, but I just stumbled across this site quite by accident, then spent close to an hour browsing:

http://www.gamebooks.org/index.php

It is a startlingly comprehensive database of information related to all sorts of gamebooks -- in particular, the various "Choose Your Own Adventure" or "Fighting Fantasy" style (i.e. instead of being read straight through, you make choices that lead you to different sections of the book; sort of a pseudo-RPG experience).

I ran across a number of books that I had entirely forgotten about owning/playing some 20 years ago... quite a trip down memory lane for anyone who enjoyed that style of book in their youth (or who still does).
    "I am not an atomic playboy."
    Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Ah, Lone Wolf. I still have some of those books. Stole them from the Junior High Library. They made so many in that series, I had to start buying them from the bookstore instead, played them for years. Cheap little combat system with a pick-a-number 1-10 grid on the back page. Pretty sweet though, a near RPG experience, we'd use them when we couldn't carry dice and notebooks. I think they had a spin-off with a Wizard, to complement the Warrior, Lone Wolf, Kai Lord, bearer of the SommerSword....
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Drat, I interpreted "game book" to mean role gaming book

Have not encountered this stuff in a long time though.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

There is some RPG-related stuff in there too, I think... though mostly fringe stuff (e.g. The Darksword Adventures, which I had). Not so much mainstream manuals and whatnot.
        "I am not an atomic playboy."
        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
          Drat, I interpreted "game book" to mean role gaming book

Have not encountered this stuff in a long time though.
          In the Lone Wolf series (and all spin-offs) you get to choose skills, and get random stats, and must maintain a good character sheet to play properly. If you are the kind of person who cheats at Solitaire, this stuff isn't for you. I must have played 30 of these books over a few years, they're perfect for when you have a RPG fix going, but can't come up on any palyers. Of course, this was all before the days of good RPG's on computer, when all you could get was crappy graphics on a blocky TSR game....
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X