My Collection of World War II Reading Material Has Been Enhanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Collection of World War II Reading Material Has Been Enhanced

I won't go into the long version of how I got what I got, unless someone asks me directly, since it is an interesting story if I do say so myself & it does involve an "S" Scale Train that was 55 Years Old, but I have just acquired 5 New Books as Follows:

(1) Pictorial History of The Second World War

A Photographic Record of All Theaters of Action Chronologically Arranged

Volume I - The First & Second Years

By: William H. Wise & Company, Inc.

Copyright 1944

(2) Pictorial History of The Second World War

Volume II - The Third & Fourth Years

Copyright 1944

(3) Pictorial History of The Second World War

Volume III - The Fifth Year

Copyright 1946

(4) Pictorial History of The Second World War

Volume IV - The Sixth Year

Copyright 1946

(5) Pictorial History of The Second World War

A Photographic Record of A Year of Victory With Special Sections On War Personalities, Weapons, And Great Battle Scenes

Volume V - A Year of Victory

Copyright 1946

Man, there are pictures & maps in these books that I have never seen before that are even more astonishing than those Pearl Harbor pictures I posted a while back. In the weapons section of Volume V, there is a picture of a 45,000 Pound Aerial Bomb that had been made to be dropped on Japan had the Atomic Bomb not been used.

Also, I just found another picture in Volume V of a B-29 that has crash landed. The description reads as follows:

Mission Completed: This B-29 Superfortress made a successful strike on Tokyo, but was crippled and was forced to make an emergency landing on Iwo Jima. The brakes on the huge plane locked up and she careened into the flight line, plowing through 4 parked P-51 Mustang Fighters before bursting into flames. Two members of the crew were hospitalized for burns, two were treated for minor burns, and the remainder of the crew managed to escape unhurt.

Also, in the weapons section, I have found pictures of The Northrop XB-35 Flying Wing & also a picture of a Boeing Single Seat Fighter said to be more versatile than any previous fighter, and capable of a speed of 450 MPH with Twin Contra Rotating Propellers & then another picture of something called The Navy's FR-1 Fireball Plane which had a Prop Engine in Front & a Jet Engine in the Back.

Well.....If Nothing Else

I have the most looked at & Un-Responded too collection of new books.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
      I have the most looked at & Un-Responded too collection of new books.
      Hardly. I have seen them and have alot more of my own. Mind you, I am not trying to put you down, nor being mean in any way, but you wouldn't believe what you can find in second hand bookstores. It boggles the imagination!
      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Indeed!

Most of my books, over the years, have come from second hand shops & garage sales or auctions.

I have a set of Pictoral History of the Second World War - Wise & Company... written as the war was occuring. Very few of the most 'significant' battles - as we see them now - are even prominent within them. There are so many battles & events in them that are now very little known, as well. They stand as proof positive, to me, that significant events in conflict often are not even known as such until years have passed & unkowns become knowns. I may start some threads with some of that stuff, one of these days. Most the pics are also rarely, if ever seen, now days, too.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X