@ Psycho One h&** of a collection!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Psycho One h&** of a collection!!

Psycho, bud that is one great collection you have there. Didn't want to comment on the threads themselves as there are so many pics to load up. I think that must be worth a fair bit of cash and I'd take out insurance on them. How long did it take to collect them all?

Originally posted by joea View Post
    Psycho, bud that is one great collection you have there. Didn't want to comment on the threads themselves as there are so many pics to load up. I think that must be worth a fair bit of cash and I'd take out insurance on them. How long did it take to collect them all?
    Born in 1968 and starting prob about 1974 I started getting some warcomics. My grandmother worked in a store that sold comics and she was always bringing me more of them. I started collecting them and bought as many as I could brand new and went to used bookstores whenever I could and would dig thru piles of comics looking for the ones I didn't have. Back then you could buy them for half cover price but nobody bagged them and took care of them.

I kept buying them religiously till about 1980 and only picked up stuff occasionally during high school from 1982-86. I kept buying a few books, mainly Conan, but stopped for awhile. Couple years later I started up again and bought a ton of comics until about 1998 when I stopped cold turkey. Too much was coming out and I had bills to pay and other stuff to do.

When Slug started that thread Sgt Rock vs Sgt Fury about a year and a half ago I dug out the warcomics and saw how close I was to finishing off those sets.

Picked up the small handful of Weird War comics I needed. Done with that series except want to upgrade a few copies.

Picked up a couple dozen Unknown Soldiers I needed. Really close to having everything from 138 thru the end (Enemy Ace & Unknown Soldier stuff).

Picked up the few Losers I needed and done with that batch including the upgrading I wanted to do. Picked up a bunch of the earlier stuff pretty cheap so I'll try and finish off the Gunner & Sarge stuff that runs from 45 to about 90.

GI Combat was a bit tougher. I have almost everything. Missing a few of the last few issues but they are cheap and easy to find so I haven't worked on them as much. Mainly looking for 97 & 111 plus the biggie # 87 (first Haunted Tank). I tried for 87 last week but missed out on it since I didn't want to spend a couple hundred like the other guy did.

There are many more Sgt Rocks compared to the other but luckily I had a good portion of the set. I did buy about 250 from a dude for about $300 and that got me close except for the very earliest stuff. I just found a dude that had about half of the last 19 I needed and then picked up another five so I'm down to #84, 90, 91, and 92 (hope to get 112 in the next couple days but we'll see about that one). I got lucky and picked up 82 & 83 in a batch kinda cheap a few months ago. I just spent $200 on the first Rock (#81) last week.

Thanks to Slug's post I started looking and picked up maybe as many as 1/3 to 1/2 of what you see in the last year and a half. I've spent quite a bit but have picked up many extras which I've sold to get back some of the money.

Overall my warcomics are probably the best of the batch other than my Amazing Spiderman stuff. I'll get some more pics of the goodies when I can.
    Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Congrats on a fine collection. Man, seeing those covers again makes me want to come down there for a visit and start re-reading.
      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X