Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is Orwell's ''1984'' a defamation of Stalin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 works on different levels.

Sure it's a denunciation of Stalin etc but he based a lot of thsi on his experiences working for the BBC in London during the War.

The point (or some of them) is that constant war produces societies where the freedom of individual is incrementally curtailed over time, where history is re written to reflect current political alliances, where when things go wrong scapegoats need to be found and where power drifts towards the centre in the name of national security...

I hate Big Brother!

(and it's not even on the BBC)
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
      The point (or some of them) is that constant war produces societies where the freedom of individual is incrementally curtailed over time, where history is re written to reflect current political alliances, where when things go wrong scapegoats need to be found and where power drifts towards the centre in the name of national security...
      Lordy, I think I know just such a place. Here in this world right now. I'd say the name only I worry I'd be picked up by the Thought Police.
      Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
      (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Originally posted by stalin
        No more myths, please !!
        Can we try a different colour please? Red makes me nervous. Maybe green?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          ... Stalin likened mass murder to a haircut, something along the lines of "there's no point worrying about the loss of a lock of hair when the whole head is in jeopardy," or something to that effect.
          Stalin did never say or mean anything like that !!

... you find Russian emigres untrustworthy because it is they who have taken their fate into their hands and left a moribund Russia to find their fortunes, and their futures, elsewhere. That's called jealousy...
          fortunes ?... - lol !!!
          those who stayed in Russia made a better fortunes than those who'd quit !!
          jealousy ?... - that characteristic is more appropriate to all of you, Anglo-Saxons.

... There were Russians once who not only appreciated freedom, but revelled in it. Russians in Novgorod, Vyatka...
          indeed - ''revelled''...
          no more myths, please !! *
          while they ''revelled'' in what you call ''freedom'', the Tatar-Mongols invaded their lands and imposed taxes on them.
          it took Ivan the Terrible to see off the Golden Horde and restore a Russian state.

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
          Can we try a different colour please? Red makes me nervous. Maybe green?
          * or maybe - grey ?

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
            Jealousy? ... that characteristic is more appropriate to all of you Anglo-Saxons.
            Hey! Enough already! I'm just so tired of being lumped in with the Angles. If they want to be jealous that's their business.

Now regarding grey. I'd suggest something a little more colourful as a contrast to the snow- if not green perhaps blue or something in between... What about gold?

Comment

Stalin did never say or mean anything like that !!
              I know, I know. According to you, Stalin never said anything.

fortunes ?... - lol !!!
              those who stayed in Russia made a better fortunes than those who'd quit !!
              All I can say is come on over here, and you'll see plenty of Russians, Ukrainians, Georgians, Armenians, Tartars, etc, who are doing quite nicely for themselves, in any field of endeavor that you care to examine.

jealousy ?... - that characteristic is more appropriate to all of you, Anglo-Saxons.
              You read real good, don't you.

indeed - ''revelled''...
              no more myths, please !! *
              while they ''revelled'' in what you call ''freedom'', the Tatar-Mongols invaded their lands and imposed taxes on them.
              it took Ivan the Terrible to see off the Golden Horde and restore a Russian state.
              Then I recommend that you read not only Tolstoy or Hohol or view Repin, but actually examine the history of places like Novgorod, Vyatka, the democratic city put to the torch and her inhabitants forced into exile by Ivan the Terrible's grandfather, or the Zaporozhye sich. Or you can contniue doing what you have been doing: argue from a position of ignorance that Russians are a lesser species incapable of enjoying the fruits of liberty.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

...Russians are a lesser species incapable of enjoying the fruits of liberty.
                Stalin had almost convinced me this was in fact the case. Despite deep misgivings on my part.

Are you- his fingers hesitate trembling over the keyboard at the momentousness of what he is about to type- suggesting there is an alternative to eternal damnation for the Russian soul (forget body)? And who are you?

Comment

... I'd suggest something a little more colourful...What about gold?
                  gold ?
                  but ACG doesn't seem to have it on its palette... gold gold gold

Comment

gold ?
                    but ACG doesn't seem to have it on its palette... gold gold gold
                    That looks really good. There is a creative Capitalist inside you struggling desperately to get out... Surrender and be free.

Comment

... According to you, Stalin never said anything.
                      something he did say in his: Works

... I recommend that you read not only Tolstoy...Or you can contniue doing what you have been doing: argue...that Russians are a lesser species incapable of enjoying the fruits of liberty.
                      as for Tolstoy, he was the only author who ever wrote about liberty.
                      first, read ''War and Peace'' and then do the talking...

Comment

Originally posted by stalin
                        Wow! A different colour and a Capital letter. I'm going to sleep like a babe tonight with such progress.

Comment

... Surrender and be free
                          you see, in order to be free you first have to surrender...
                          sort of tricky, isn't it ?

Comment

you see, in order to be free you first have to surrender...
                            sort of tricky, isn't it ?
                            Not at all. Like falling off a cliff...

Comment

aha...
                              now i see: i'm going to be free when i'm dead...

Comment

aha... now i see: i'm going to be free when i'm dead...
                                Not necessarily. Depends on your angle as you hit the water...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X