Has Anybody Read...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anybody Read...

A thread that can be used to seek comments on books you are looking to purchase.

I saw _An Army at Dawn_ today in the bookstore and was wondering if anybody has read it or is in the process of reading it. It's a hefty book on the US Army in North Africa by an author named Atkinson who also wrote a book on the Gulf War called Crusader. Apparently it's the first in a three part series covering the US Army in North Africa, Italy (vol. 2 due out in 2005) and the Western Front (due out in 2008).

Unfortunately,

I can't help you about what you are looking for, but since this could be a thread about book, let me ask this question:

I have just ordered from Amazon the book of Robert McNamara, In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam. Did I just waste my money or is it a good reading?

On another note, I just finished reading Hamburger Hill by Samuel Zaffiri (as you can see I am very much into Vietnam War these days...). I was hooked. That book kept me flipping the pages very late at night. Very good combat descriptions of this fierce and intense battle. Not a lot of details about strategic or tactical considerations, but as a ground-level account, it's certainly one of the best. Definitely a very good reading.

Comment

WWII books!

Hello,

I have this book called Panzer Battles, it's written by a German general named F.W. Von Mellenthin. It's one of the best books I have yet seen on WWII strategy and operational tactics dealing mainly with the armored classes. It's strongly recommended!

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

A great book about WWII infantry action in the ETO is "Company Commander" by McDonald. You will have a hard time putting it down.

Comment

I'm reading up on Field Manuals on .pdf. I've just started a book called "Constantine the Great" by Michael Grant. More boring than the books you guys are discussing
          "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Dark Horse, I just read that book as well. What a fascinating view of the final weeks in Western Europe. Are you familiar with any other first hand accounts worth reading? I will pick up Hamburger Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tzar
              as you can see I am very much into Vietnam War these days
              Have you seen the TOAW scenario Vietnam65-75? Best of the bunch, from what I've seen. I tried playing it hotseat, but it's really boring as hell playing the badguys... Fun vs. the PO tho!
              "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis

Have you seen the TOAW scenario Vietnam65-75? Best of the bunch, from what I've seen. I tried playing it hotseat, but it's really boring as hell playing the badguys... Fun vs. the PO tho!
                You mean the one by Jeff Riddols? I just started it against the PO, I am at turn 5. So far I really love that scenario. The Theater Options gives you quite a bit of control over important features of this war (North Vietnam bombing, military aid, economic aid, Special Operations Groups, McNamara Line, etc.) and what is more important is that YOU DECIDE of the deployment and withdrawal timetable for U.S. troops.

So far I haven't involved U.S. ground troops but the ARVN by itself does not have a lot of offensive punch, it's pathetic. 3 of my ARVN divisions are bugged down through missed effectiveness checks. And the gooks are gathering a couple of regiments near Hue, I'm getting nervous they will strike soon.

So I am stepping up U.S. air support. I have put the 3rd Marines and 1st Cav on stand by...Really great scenario

Comment

Yeah, that's the one.

A tip: don't wait on the US ground troops. You need them. Get at least a few over there, and right now. If you take a decent amount of them, you can shut down the enemy quite quickly, and re-establish control of most of the VP locations. I haven't played it out from there, but after so many turns in (30?) I had the entire country under control, and some quite formidable border defenses going along the Ho Chi Min Trail (sp?).

But I seriously wouldn't wait on the US ground troop involvement. If you've read through the briefing completely, even the designer states to get a sizeable number of them over there, pronto.

Give us an AAR when you're done, I'd love to know how it works out in the end!
                  "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

Where at

Originally posted by Mantis

Where can this scenario be found at,it was highly recommended,but i can't remember by whom

Comment

I can send the Vietnam 65-75 scenario to you John. Just email me so that I get your email address.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X