X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Mann III
    started a topic Devils in Baggy Pants: Ross S. Carter

Devils in Baggy Pants: Ross S. Carter

"American parachutists - Devils in Baggy Pants - are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black hearted devils are eveywhere...."

Found in the diary of a German officer who opposed the 504th on the Anzio beachhead.

"A history of the 504th Parachute Regiment has been written and a military history will be about the 82nd Airborne Division. What I am writing is not military history but an eyewitness, participated in account and human story of men who fought the enemy to a standstill in many bloody battles all over Europe. I missed only forty-some days of duty with the regiment in three years; and so "was there" when all of these incidents happened."

Ross S. Carter Duffiel, Virginia October, 1945

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the most important book I've ever read. My grandfather served in the same battalion of the 504th, at the same time as Carter, so I grew up with the original print in my house. It's an N.C.O.'s perspective from the States, Africa and then Sicily, Italy, England, Holland and Belgium. It describes the battle of Cheneux, December 20, 1944, the worst airborne fight for the US I know of. If you haven't at least read it, and you are an Airborne enthusiast, you are missing more than I can tell you....
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 08 May 07, 04:03.

• Pruitt
    replied
    A lot depends on the type of Battalion and what year it was. Some specialty battalions might have a Heavy Weapons Company. I remember when the local Guard Battalion had an Antitank Company as well as a HQ and four Line Companies. Of course things have since changed!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• TroopAbn
    replied
    Designations have changed since the war. In WW2: 1st Batallion would be: HQ's Company, A, B and C Company. 2nd Battalion would be: HQ's Company, D, E and F Company. 3rd Battion would be HQ's Company, G,H and I Company. But in today's units: 1st Battalion would be: HQ's Company, A, B, C and D Company. 2nd Battalion would have HQ's Company, A, B, C and D Company, and if a 3rd Battalion, the same sequence.

Leave a comment:

• Mike St.George
    replied
    Re. morning reports:
    Dean:
    I've been involved in a research projct concerning the WW2 era 504th. Para. Inf. Regt. and I think we could make use of such
    material.
    What are the details of the material, in what format is it ?
    Thanks,
    Mike St.George
    Col. Reuben Tucker Chapter
    82nd. Airborne Division Association

Leave a comment:

• deancw
    replied
    paul mann

I have several hundred pages of 504th mornning reports from defense dept, are you interested in this info, i am getting too old to do anything with it, dean whaley.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
    Paul,

I've been looking at this thread off and on since you started it. I found a copy at a yardsale last week. I look forward to matching the pictures with the names...
    Well I finally read my yard sale find. Upon a closer look it was from a limited printing of 400 copies from 1951. I have to admit it brought me to tears several times, having seen their pictures made it even more compelling.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Originally posted by scartercooley View Post
    Ross was my great uncle. I have always had the book, but have not read it yet. I am going to start it. I knew Frank for years and he was a wonderful person. I was very close to my Uncle Boyd and Uncle Fred Carter. Ross's brother Wright was my beloved grandfather whom I miss greatly. I actually have Ross's paratrooper wings. I never knew Ross, but heard stories about him often from the family. I guess I need to read the book.
    Send Paul an e-mail. He loves the subject and he is worth getting to know.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• scartercooley
    replied
    Ross was my great uncle. I have always had the book, but have not read it yet. I am going to start it. I knew Frank for years and he was a wonderful person. I was very close to my Uncle Boyd and Uncle Fred Carter. Ross's brother Wright was my beloved grandfather whom I miss greatly. I actually have Ross's paratrooper wings. I never knew Ross, but heard stories about him often from the family. I guess I need to read the book.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
    Paul,

I've been looking at this thread off and on since you started it. I found a copy at a yardsale last week. I look forward to matching the pictures with the names...
    Still my favorite book. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Paul,

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by Troy Rodarmel View Post

I filmed him about 7 years ago talking about the war and different stories. His favorite being one where he and a few guys were walking back to camp and Patton came by and gave them a ride on his jeep. If anyone is interested I will look for it and see what else I can find.
    That would be great to see. Any pictures or anything of the 504 are always cool to come across, there isn't much of that material out there.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Well... if he was in Dog Company let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Troy Rodarmel
    replied
    I was looking at pictures and I think I see him in 2 different pictures both of them are of the 504 C. When I get back to California I will look through all my pictures. I have alot of him with other friends in thier uniforms.

I also have his old shirt with a few patches. My uncle has his old M1. He was a machine gunner. Then he went back to Georgia as an instructor after Sicily.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Troy Rodarmel View Post
    I found it by googling my Grandpas name and 82nd Airborne. He was Walter Gasiorek (AKA Chick) AKA (The Big Pollack). I have talked to him many times about the war and things I remember are Anzio, Sicily, Africa. I wish I could find more pictures of this group online.

I filmed him about 7 years ago talking about the war and different stories. His favorite being one where he and a few guys were walking back to camp and Patton came by and gave them a ride on his jeep. If anyone is interested I will look for it and see what else I can find.

Anywho thanks for letting me gab.
    Do you know what unit within the 82nd he was in?

Leave a comment:

• Troy Rodarmel
    replied
    Thanks for this site.

I found it by googling my Grandpas name and 82nd Airborne. He was Walter Gasiorek (AKA Chick) AKA (The Big Pollack). I have talked to him many times about the war and things I remember are Anzio, Sicily, Africa. I wish I could find more pictures of this group online.

Anywho thanks for letting me gab.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X