Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Master Termite

Thanks for this picture, Mike.

"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Wow!

Those Devils in Baggy Pants is the book that convinced me to join the paratroops. My real father had been a Marine and, while my step-father had been an Air Force LTC, I had no interest in either the AF or the Navy, so it was either the Airborne or the Marines...Airborne won.

I served in the early 70's in Panama. My unit was A Co (ABN), 3rd Bn, 5th Inf. Yes, only the Company was Airborne...any old Moatengators out there?

During the time I served, the Regimental system was being phased out in favor of autonomous Battalions. Notice that, even though I was in the 3rd Bn, I was in A Co. This is because they changed the TO&E. Infantry Battalions, no matter what their numerical designation, were normally organized like this: Headquarters Co., (Line) Cos. A,B, and C, then Combat Support Company taking care of the heavy weapons and recon roles. This is why you no longer will find Dog or Hog, or Mike companies owning the .50 cals.

I really enjoyed reading this thread, especially looking at the pictures of the real men behind the characters--I also thought the Master Termite's death was sad. Perhaps it was the suddeness, and matter-of-fact way it was handled that had a lot to do with that.

All the Way,

ed

Comment

Thanks for this site.

I found it by googling my Grandpas name and 82nd Airborne. He was Walter Gasiorek (AKA Chick) AKA (The Big Pollack). I have talked to him many times about the war and things I remember are Anzio, Sicily, Africa. I wish I could find more pictures of this group online.

I filmed him about 7 years ago talking about the war and different stories. His favorite being one where he and a few guys were walking back to camp and Patton came by and gave them a ride on his jeep. If anyone is interested I will look for it and see what else I can find.

Anywho thanks for letting me gab.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy Rodarmel View Post
          I found it by googling my Grandpas name and 82nd Airborne. He was Walter Gasiorek (AKA Chick) AKA (The Big Pollack). I have talked to him many times about the war and things I remember are Anzio, Sicily, Africa. I wish I could find more pictures of this group online.

I filmed him about 7 years ago talking about the war and different stories. His favorite being one where he and a few guys were walking back to camp and Patton came by and gave them a ride on his jeep. If anyone is interested I will look for it and see what else I can find.

Anywho thanks for letting me gab.
          Do you know what unit within the 82nd he was in?
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I was looking at pictures and I think I see him in 2 different pictures both of them are of the 504 C. When I get back to California I will look through all my pictures. I have alot of him with other friends in thier uniforms.

I also have his old shirt with a few patches. My uncle has his old M1. He was a machine gunner. Then he went back to Georgia as an instructor after Sicily.

Comment

Well... if he was in Dog Company let me know.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Troy Rodarmel View Post

That would be great to see. Any pictures or anything of the 504 are always cool to come across, there isn't much of that material out there.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Paul,

I've been looking at this thread off and on since you started it. I found a copy at a yardsale last week. I look forward to matching the pictures with the names...
                  Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                    Paul,

I've been looking at this thread off and on since you started it. I found a copy at a yardsale last week. I look forward to matching the pictures with the names...
                    Still my favorite book. Enjoy!

BoRG

Comment

Ross was my great uncle. I have always had the book, but have not read it yet. I am going to start it. I knew Frank for years and he was a wonderful person. I was very close to my Uncle Boyd and Uncle Fred Carter. Ross's brother Wright was my beloved grandfather whom I miss greatly. I actually have Ross's paratrooper wings. I never knew Ross, but heard stories about him often from the family. I guess I need to read the book.

Comment

Originally posted by scartercooley View Post
                        Ross was my great uncle. I have always had the book, but have not read it yet. I am going to start it. I knew Frank for years and he was a wonderful person. I was very close to my Uncle Boyd and Uncle Fred Carter. Ross's brother Wright was my beloved grandfather whom I miss greatly. I actually have Ross's paratrooper wings. I never knew Ross, but heard stories about him often from the family. I guess I need to read the book.
                        Send Paul an e-mail. He loves the subject and he is worth getting to know.

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                          Paul,

Well I finally read my yard sale find. Upon a closer look it was from a limited printing of 400 copies from 1951. I have to admit it brought me to tears several times, having seen their pictures made it even more compelling.
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

paul mann

I have several hundred pages of 504th mornning reports from defense dept, are you interested in this info, i am getting too old to do anything with it, dean whaley.

Comment

Re. morning reports:
                              Dean:
                              I've been involved in a research projct concerning the WW2 era 504th. Para. Inf. Regt. and I think we could make use of such
                              material.
                              What are the details of the material, in what format is it ?
                              Thanks,
                              Mike St.George
                              Col. Reuben Tucker Chapter
                              82nd. Airborne Division Association

Comment

Designations have changed since the war. In WW2: 1st Batallion would be: HQ's Company, A, B and C Company. 2nd Battalion would be: HQ's Company, D, E and F Company. 3rd Battion would be HQ's Company, G,H and I Company. But in today's units: 1st Battalion would be: HQ's Company, A, B, C and D Company. 2nd Battalion would have HQ's Company, A, B, C and D Company, and if a 3rd Battalion, the same sequence.

Comment

Working...
                                X