Devils in Baggy Pants: Ross S. Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alatriste View Post
    I don't recall it as such. Was that ever the case at some time?
    Never heard of a Charlie Company being in a 2nd Battalion. Think about it. 3 Companies in most Battalions, Able through Charlie in 1st Battalion...

You see why I ask for clarification?
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
      Never heard of a Charlie Company being in a 2nd Battalion. Think about it. 3 Companies in most Battalions, Able through Charlie in 1st Battalion...

You see why I ask for clarification?
      Able? You mean Alpha? So you think 2nd Bn should be D thru F?

Oh well, guess I am busted as a poser!

Comment

So you think 2nd Bn should be D thru F?
        That what it is in most of my reference material...
        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
          That what it is in most of my reference material...
          Just as a further example, I was in B Co. 4th/64th Armor of 3ID. So now you see a Bravo (or a Baker) in a fourth battalion.

Now in a regiment that is still a whole regiment, where battalions have not gone away to divisions, your method would apply. As another example I was in 3rd ACR. That armored cavalry regiment maintains all of its battalions. So all the companies there are alphabetized as per your assumption.

The CARS naming convention is way screwed up. I am not sure even the US Army understands it anymore

Comment

The Army can be confusing at times...

Just as a further example, I was in B Co. 4th/64th Armor of 3ID. So now you see a Bravo (or a Baker) in a fourth battalion.

Now in a regiment that is still a whole regiment, where battalions have not gone away to divisions, your method would apply. As another example I was in 3rd ACR. That armored cavalry regiment maintains all of its battalions. So all the companies there are alphabetized as per your assumption.

The CARS naming convention is way screwed up. I am not sure even the US Army understands it anymore
            I think I've got it now. Thanks for clearing that up...

BoRG

Comment

Great info Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by JDB5 View Post

Great info Paul.
                The credit belongs to others, such as Frank Van Lunteren (MacFrank) and a few others who did the heavy reading.

I think there is some more coming too... It's just a matter of time...

BoRG

Comment

I've been away from the forums too long. I began to wonder how some people could know so little about history. I thought we were doomed to a lack of knowledge of our past. Then I came back and it is all better now.

Comment

JDB5,

The really scary thing is many parrot what their History teacher told them.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I have actually been told that we invaded NORWAY, not Normandy. Then when the arument ensues they still refuse to believe me.

We have an American History teacher here who is just great. He is an avid WW2 memorailia collector. I went to his class a few days ago and he has a document that is signed by Hitler. The guy is great. He is actually having to build a climate controled shed and all that to house all of the stuff he has collected. He mentioned something about his wife being upset about all the stuff he had in the house. I think there is an article somewhere about him, I'll find it and post it soon.

Comment

to answer your question young man, Pvt. Towle was in 1st battalion 504 C Company in WWII. His unit was called back to France after Operation Market Garden.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtimesacharm View Post

to answer your question young man, Pvt. Towle was in 1st battalion 504 C Company in WWII. His unit was called back to France after Operation Market Garden.
                          Eh?

To whom was this post directed? Which "young man" do you mean to address?

I didn't notice any question about what outfit Towle was from...

BoRG

Comment

Ross is The Arab

Originally posted by white.bass View Post
                            thank-you amygail concerning Ross Carter being the Arab. i also thought that same thing several years ago too. remember how they both were reading Homer" ?
                            may i ask you further questions ?
                            Ross Carter was the Arab according to Ross' Niece, Ruth Carter. She lived in the house next to Ross' grave in Pattonsville, VA. She also told me how to contact Berkley from the book and I learned a great many things from the both of them. Ross' book was one of the most compelling books I have ever read. I can not ever get those stories out of my mind.

Stan

Comment

Andy L:
                              Just logged on to this site and saw your message from God knows when re. Ross Carter's book. I'm a Canadian( from Ottawa ) who joined the U.S. Paras and ended up in the 82nd. in the bow and arrow days ( 1960's )and I too was enthralled by that book.
                              I met many a Para Regt. bloke when they used to come here to the US for the annual Spring Fling in Lynchburg, Virginia which was put on every April, later May, by me old mate Ray Gilbert who has gone to his last RV. When he died so did the Spring Fling, and so we're all much poorer on two levels. Anyway, after the Spring Fling we'd awa to Ft. Bragg for All American Week. Our Brit vets enjoyed their annual visits very much and we enjoyed having them over. Too many to name but just ask around and you'll find people like Norman McKay, Dickie Hudd, Ted Dalton, Gordon Sillitoe and many other Regt. vets who came over to visit.
                              We miss them greatly.
                              Mike St.George
                              The Col Reuben Tucker Chapter
                              The 82nd. Abn. Div. Assn.
                              [email protected]

Comment

Andy L. and Ross Carter

Andy L:
                                Just logged on to this site and saw your message from God knows when re. Ross Carter's book. I'm a Canadian( from Ottawa ) who joined the U.S. Paras and ended up in the 82nd. in the bow and arrow days ( 1960's )and I too was enthralled by that book.
                                I met many a Para Regt. bloke when they used to come here to the US for the annual Spring Fling in Lynchburg, Virginia which was put on every April, later May, by me old mate Ray Gilbert who has gone to his last RV. When he died so did the Spring Fling, and so we're all much poorer on two levels. Anyway, after the Spring Fling we'd awa to Ft. Bragg for All American Week. Our Brit vets enjoyed their annual visits very much and we enjoyed having them over. Too many to name but just ask around and you'll find people like Norman McKay, Dickie Hudd, Ted Dalton, Gordon Sillitoe and many other Regt. vets who came over to visit.
                                We miss them greatly.
                                Mike St.George
                                The Col Reuben Tucker Chapter
                                The 82nd. Abn. Div. Assn.
                                [email protected]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X