No announcement yet.

Devils in Baggy Pants: Ross S. Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=white.bass;892029]thank-you amygail concerning Ross Carter being the Arab. i also thought that same thing several years ago too. remember how they both were reading Homer" ?
    may i ask you further questions ?[/QUOTE

You may ask further question, but I cannot promise answers.

Comment

Paul,
      @ The Master Termite--have you tried the 82nd Abn Division museum? Also, the 504th Regimental scrapbook lists the Kia for each campaign, that may provide a clue.

Comment

Master Termite

Originally posted by Parasocko View Post
        Paul,
        @ The Master Termite--have you tried the 82nd Abn Division museum? Also, the 504th Regimental scrapbook lists the Kia for each campaign, that may provide a clue.
        I plan to travel this summer, and all of my destinations are WWII Airborne related. I will add the museum to the list for sure.

The Master Termite is my hero, without a doubt...

I've been checking names of from this document as well...

It's the Thanksgiving dinner roster from '42 Airborne training with C/504th...

"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Paul,
          I cross referenced the casuality list published in the 504th combat record-with the names from the dinner roster the following are listed as KIA in Italy:
          1SG ALBERT HENRY
          PFC FREDDIE JOHNSON
          PVT JOHN MONTI
          CPL MIKE OGONOWSKI
          SGT HAROLD RODGERS
          PVT JOSEPH TAYLOR
          DIED OF WOUNDS:
          STANLEY BROOKS (ONE OF THE 4 "AIR RAID WARDENS?'
          LEROY J. DOYLE

We know that the Master Termite was not 1SG Henry. We also know that the master was KIA so Brooks and Doyle can be ruled out as the Master.
          Well, I hope this was helpful....one other thing....The 82nd div museum had a first edition copy of the book, with photographs on display a long time ago....the division historian may be able to help ID who the MAster was. the # to the div museum is 910 432 3443
          the 82nd div PAO is 910 432 0761

Comment

Originally posted by Parasocko View Post
            Paul,
            I cross referenced the casuality list published in the 504th combat record-with the names from the dinner roster the following are listed as KIA in Italy:

PFC FREDDIE JOHNSON
            PVT JOHN MONTI
            CPL MIKE OGONOWSKI
            PVT JOSEPH TAYLOR

Well, I hope this was helpful....one other thing....The 82nd div museum had a first edition copy of the book, with photographs on display a long time ago....the division historian may be able to help ID who the MAster was. the # to the div museum is 910 432 3443 the 82nd div PAO is 910 432 0761
            Agreed on First Sergeant Henry. I think Brooks was an Air Raid Warden, and I don't recall Master being mentioned even hanging out with them. I think we can also strike Rodgers, I don't recall Master Termite having been mentioned with Sergeant stripes. The Master's body was not recoved as far as I know, so Doyle wouldn't be him.

Very helpful. The I had been going through the list knocking off the names I knew for sure wouldn't be him, but this less names I think. A solid start. I'll send these names to the Company A historian and have him run through his 1st Battalion notes.

Thank You!
            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Ross S Carter

Thanks Paul... for all your good info and pictures about the book {Those Devils in Baggy Pants}. Here is what info i have about Ross Carter and his book. I talked to a cousin of Ross by phone a few years ago. His cousin said that Ross was the Arab in the book. I also talked to Jeanne B..Ross's girlfriend in the book..page 243 of the book. She thought alot of Ross.

The Master Termite was John J Parsons from California. I have other real names, but i think you already have most of those. Last year I was in Italy and went to where the Battle of Anzio-Nettuno was fought, 30 miles south of Rome. The 504th PIR fought there. I went to the American Cemetery there located just north of Nettuno. There are 10 CO C of the 504th buried there. The name of the cemetery is Sicily-Rome. I visited all of the graves of CO C troopers buried there. They were killed at Sicily, Italy...most were killed at Anzio. Several were returned to the USA after the war. I have a picture of John J Parson's grave {the master termite } and also Albert Henry Jr...who was the first sgt. .Carter describes their death in his book. Best Regards....Earl Malizia. World War II Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Malizia View Post

The Master Termite was John J Parsons from California. I have other real names, but i think you already have most of those. Last year I was in Italy and went to where the Battle of Anzio-Nettuno was fought, 30 miles south of Rome. The 504th PIR fought there. I went to the American Cemetery there located just north of Nettuno. There are 10 CO C of the 504th buried there. The name of the cemetery is Sicily-Rome. I visited all of the graves of CO C troopers buried there. They were killed at Sicily, Italy...most were killed at Anzio. Several were returned to the USA after the war. I have a picture of John J Parson's grave {the master termite } and also Albert Henry Jr...who was the first sgt. .Carter describes their death in his book. Best Regards....Earl Malizia. World War II Veteran
                I woyld love to see the pictures!

Master Termite's death on Christmas 1943 always stood out to me as one of the saddest moments in history...

BoRG

Comment

"The Master Termite," aka John J. Parsons

Wow!

So, at last, one of the enduring mysteries of Ross Carter's "Those Devils In Baggy Pants" is solved -- the real name of the immortal "Master Termite" was John J. Parsons.

He's listed on the rolls of the "Killed In Action In Italy" in the 504th's Regimental history.

Thank you, Earl!

Comment

I am looking for information on Cpl. Harold D. Stevenson, C Co., 504th PIR, 82nd Airborne. He joined the Army in 1943 and was KIA 20Dec44 in the Battle of Cheneux. His family and mine have been friends for almost 100 years.

I am in contact with his only surviving relatives, two nieces. I am sending them copies of everything I find.

I would appreciate any information any of you might have about Harold.

thank you,
                    Steve
                    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by howie624 View Post
                      I am looking for information on Cpl. Harold D. Stevenson, C Co., 504th PIR, 82nd Airborne. He joined the Army in 1943 and was KIA 20Dec44 in the Battle of Cheneux. His family and mine have been friends for almost 100 years.

I am in contact with his only surviving relatives, two nieces. I am sending them copies of everything I find.

I would appreciate any information any of you might have about Harold.

thank you,
                      Steve
                      Contact Paul Mann III. His grandfather was in that fight and he is our resident expert.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Thanks Captain. I already have.
                        Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.

Comment

Ross Carter's description of Cheneux is the most graphic I've read. It's such a strong chapter, I sometimes read it friends of mine when I've been drinking.

Mechanized Hell..., glad I've never been there...

BoRG

Comment

Here's a photo of Cpl. Stevenson's headstone. He is buried in Wiley Cemetery, Ellisville, IL.

Comment

He was one of the bravest! RIP!

I will contact his former captain in C Company to ask if he recalls him.

Comment

Thanks Frank!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X