orwell's ''animal farm'': must-read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
    I disagree with stalin's argument that the first stage of USSR's collapse was after Stalin's death. I like to think it has to do something with being called an "evil empire" and stinger missiles delivered to wild barbarians in Afghanistan. Americans gave USSR the final push over the edge on way to a total collapse. It was payback time for America after what USSR and China did to her during Vietnam War. Only this time, USSR was defeated and it lost Cold War as well.
    So... you disagree with it being the first stage, but acknowledge that Ol' Reagan was the final push. Don't you mean he was the alpha and omega of pushes?

Besides, most people looking for simple explanations tend to point to the deployment of mobile nukes throughout Europe and the Soviet Union's hard push to catch up that accelerated the financial collapse. In reality of course there's a long bevy of reasons why the USSR collapsed, some attributable to Western action and some from internal pressures.
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• I think given the last couple of posts we maybe need to 'farm' this topic off somewhere else- like in its own thread if it doesn't already have one, with a title on the lines of "The timing of and reasons for the collapse of the Soviet Union".

As it is I've already had to go out to calm Boxer and Clover several times during the night, what with all that nervous neighing coming from the stables. And Napoleon looked distinctly unhappy this morning over breakfast.
      Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
      (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mantis View Post
        ... They (muslims) become natives. It's much like England being conquered throughout history...
        ...like, by the normans ?

Originally posted by Mantis View Post
        ... Someone comes, takes the place over, and in 10 years, they're all drinking warm beers and Bob's your uncle...
        this time, i'm afraid - they're all making everyone drink green tea and wear burkhas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
          ... let's not kid ourselves into thinking Russians are there in the defense of freedom and liberty for all, okay? Don't be so naive!...
          as for me, i can't see any ''naive'' person 'round here...
          your ''freedom and liberty'' has never been russia's main goal and never will be.
          we, russians - in chechnya, exclusively for the oil and nothing else.

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
          ... given the latest news involving Russia and America, it appears Russia hasn't yet learned the lessons of Cold War and America will have to teach her the lesson...again!...
          the ''lessons'' we have learned alright !
          here's one of them: it is better to lose the war than to lose the ''cold war''.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Staff View Post
            ...some Chechen might...hunt you down...
            they're now too busy hunting journalists akin to anna politkovskaya (bitch) and paul khlebnikov (fool).

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
            ...Who's to say I don't work for MI6?...
            and who's to say i don't work for kgb !...

...Totalitarian states seem to need...murderous thugs at the top...
            actually, any kind of the state needs some ''murderous thug'' at its top.

Comment

• Originally posted by stalin View Post
              1) They're now too busy hunting journalists akin to anna politkovskaya (bitch) and paul khlebnikov (fool).
              2) ...and who's to say i don't work for [the] KGB !...
              3) Actually, any kind of the state needs some ''murderous thug'' at its top.
              1) Chechnya. Lordy, it's gotten to be a perpetual conflict. Rather like one of those in 1984 where no-one can remember who started it and yet no-one is really interested in ending it.
              2) If you do, they are not paying you enough... The giveaway is the 'i'. You've got to keep practicing with that CAPS LOCK or SHIFT key...
              3) No. Think Vatican.

Comment

Chechnya. Lordy, it's gotten to be a perpetual conflict...
                actually, over there - all is quiet at this moment.
                there's no war now.

politkovskaya got murdered because she wrote that russian soldiers raped chechens.
                so - chechens swore to cut her head off, and they've kept their word.

Comment

1) Actually, over there - all is quiet at this moment.
                  there's no war now.
                  2) Politkovskaya got murdered because she wrote that Russian soldiers raped Chechens.
                  3) So - Chechens swore to cut her head off, and they've kept their word.
                  1) Depends how you define quiet. Bird song in the ruins of that terrible town Grozny? It's all relative.
                  2) Never!
                  3) There are Chechens and Chechens. There's the real deal and then there's the equivalent of the von Seydlitz Army- or just pro-Russian bandits.

And I'm not fond of Chechens since IMO they're really- or have been forced to become- Islamotots. Perhaps Stalin was right and should never have allowed them back from points east.

Comment

... Bird song in the ruins of that terrible town Grozny?...
                    grozny city is not ''the ruins'' anymore now.

... pro-Russian bandits...
                    why is it always - ''bandits'' are those who are pro-russian, and ''angels'' are those anti-russian ?

Comment

1) Grozny city is not ''the ruins'' anymore now.
                      2) Why is it always - ''bandits'' are those who are pro-Russian, and ''angels'' are those anti-Russian ?
                      1) So they finally took away the rubble and grassed it all over? I must try and find a recent picture. Mind you, and to be fair, the West's hands aren't totally clean these last few years either.
                      2) At this point I believe even the angels have abandoned Chechnya. So it seems it's just a Q of whether you're still alive, still there, and who is providing you with food and shelter.

Comment

... At this point I believe even the angels have abandoned Chechnya...
                        angels might have left, but the chechens stayed.
                        as for food, they slaughter sheep and eat them.

Comment

THE KINKS - ANIMAL FARM

Comment

THE KINKS - ANIMAL FARM
                            Marvelous. And very creative. But I didn't see Napoleon. Is he frightened to expose himself to the media in case it aids an ass-ass-ination attempt? I did like those pictures of Clover prancing happily around though the clips must have been taken early after the Revolution.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X