Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American revolution military book! need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American revolution military book! need help!

hi all!
    I'm newbye from Italy (Rome); i have the hobby of the military history, and so i'm searching something about American revolution war.
    i have bought " The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789" by Robert Middlekauff; but these book spend too many time in political discussion.
    So i'm searching a book:
    -about military history,
    -with good map and battle map,
    - that covered all the indipendence war from 1763-1789
    - that don't analize the single battle but put the battle in the contest of campaign and war

can help me?

i see these book:"Rebels and Redcoats: The American Revolution Through the Eyes of Those Who Fought and Lived It " By George F. Scheer and Hugh F. Rankin ...u suggest me?IS GOOD?

THANKS for answer and regards!!
    Last edited by ussaro; 27 Apr 07, 10:06.

Finding a good military history of the American Revolution that covers the entire conflict is difficult. I don't know of any. It seems to me that the very best military histories of the American Revolution focus on one major battle or campaign.

One of the best historians to write about the Revolution in recent years is David H. Fischer. His "Paul Revere's Ride" is an excellent account of the battle of Lexington and Concord in 1775, and the beginning of the Revolution. His second book "Washington's Crossing" is also very good, and deals with Trenton and Princeton in 1776 and the forging of the American Army. His writing style is very good and really brings these battles alive, and his books are well illustrated with good maps.

Richard Ketchum is another good historian who has written extensively on the Revolution. He's written a book on many of the major battles and campaigns of the war. His book "Saratoga: Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War" is my favorite.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

I'm going to chime in here for a min... When I first got interested in the American Revolution one of the first books I bought was the Encyclopedia of the American Revolution by Mark M. Boatner III... I paid about 39.95 for the back in print edition...

I recently found out that there is now a three volume series of the Encyclopedia I can't recall the authors name but one of the authors is Boatner... The only thing about the three volume series is that its over 200 dollars... So I'm patiently waiting for when I buy it...

I will say this about the Encyclopedia in general. There are some errors in the book mostly on dates and such or so I'm told... But over all its a great reference on the conflict...
      ~~Mr. Morbid The Morbid One~~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X