Clear All

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    My review of Honor Among Enemies

Leave a comment:

• Anacreon
    replied
    Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
    The Lost Fleet? Isnt' that the one with Dauntless, Fearless, etc.? I liked that better than Honor Harrington series, although truth be told I liked the earlier part of the HH series much better than the latter part when she became too much of a superheroine for my taste.
    That's the one.

I agree with you on the earlier Harrington books being the best (Honor of the Queen ftw!).

Leave a comment:

• GMan88
    replied
    Originally posted by Acheron View Post
    Not quite. I also read the first book and while entertaining it didn't sell the series to me. I simply didn't like how so many other characters were facing about how awesome the protagonist is, several subordinates and even at least one enemy being in awe of her, I thought it overdone. I got the feeling that the author was more in love with Miss Harrington than I could ever be. The protagonist having a slightly psychic cat is a starship-sized warning sign.

Ironically I quite like the Lost Fleet series, where the protagonist is actively idolized by many. It didn't tick me off, first because the PoV never shifts from the protagonists so we get all the adulation second-hand, and second it is presented as not such a good thing, with the protagonist being very uncomfortable with it. Or maybe I am just an evil chauvinist who cannot stand a story featuring a woman in command, like all the others who didn't love Star Trek Voyager.
    The Lost Fleet? Isnt' that the one with Dauntless, Fearless, etc.? I liked that better than Honor Harrington series, although truth be told I liked the earlier part of the HH series much better than the latter part when she became too much of a superheroine for my taste.

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
    I think my all time favorite bit was in On Basilisk Station, and she's in the lift with Klaus Hauptmann, and he's just "threatened" her family.
    I like that character too. He was a pompous ass at first but he really developed into a good character later in the series.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    I think my all time favorite bit was in On Basilisk Station, and she's in the lift with Klaus Hauptmann, and he's just "threatened" her family.

Leave a comment:

• the ace
    replied
    I love them, but I'm unable to figure out my favourite bit;

In , 'Honour of the Queen,' (sorry, I always mentally correct the spelling) where her own Light Cruiser and a Destroyer engage a Havenite Battlecruiser to protect a people who despise her - simply because there's no-one else.

The duelist/assassin raising his weapon and deciding to put his first shot in the centre, 'Command Star,' above her left breast when.....

The way she deals with this piece of sh*t before going on to give that ^%$$%$^^&& Young exactly what he deserves make very interesting reading.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Peeps (and others) may find this interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Anacreon
    replied
    Damn, now I'm getting nostalgic. I really must go and dust it off when I get home and then go find some vict- players. :evil:

Leave a comment:

• Khryses
    replied
    The (rather steep) learning curve has allowed us to 'pull a Harrington' against far more powerful but far less experienced opponents (*cough*HonoroftheQueen*cough*).

Particularly when you start manoeuvring in the 3rd dimension, and the other guy gets this slightly horrified look of betrayal...

Leave a comment:

• Anacreon
    replied
    Originally posted by Khryses View Post

Also a few good spinoffs from the series

A pleasure to play, though at first we did keep 'skidding' off the map table until we got the hang of inertia
    Yeah, it can be a nightmare if you mess up. Of course, such a thing never happens to my ships.

Leave a comment:

• Khryses
    replied

Also a few good spinoffs from the series

A pleasure to play, though at first we did keep 'skidding' off the map table until we got the hang of inertia

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    Sarnow,Tourville and Henke are some of my faves.

The series has stagnated a bit in the last two main line books. I attribute this to the fact that HH was supposed to die in At all Costs setting the stage for her offspring to fight the new enemy. Not that I'm not happy with the new direction the series is going,I am happy,but it is taken more storytelling by Weber to get the plot going.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Thomas Theisman is definitely one of my favorites. As is Alistair Mckeon, and Andrew LaFollet.

Leave a comment:

• Acheron
    replied
    Originally posted by Anacreon View Post
    Overall, I enjoy the series. Honor can be an annoying Mary-Sue at times, but the minor characters and other aspects tend to more than make up for it.
    Interesting, maybe I should give the series another change and try to overlook the faving over the protagonist. I remember if being well written

On a side note, I agree with Acheron on The Lost Fleet, give it a read if you haven't yet.
    I really love the series, read it twice or thrice. Thinking of it, there are quite some objective issues with it, which I normally bitch about, but I believe that I do not notice these in the series because it is quite engagingly written.

Leave a comment:

• Anacreon
    replied
    Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    Agree - for some reason my favourite character is White Haven.
    I prefer him in the earlier books, Thomas Theisman is probably my current favourite (if only for the ending of Ashes of Victory).

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X