Honor Harrington- David Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honor Harrington- David Weber

Just bought Basilisk station, I have yet to read it, but would you recommend that I jump into this series? And if so... what kind of cool things (since I know most of you can compare it to a lot of the other mil sci-fi I've read) can I expect?
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

I'm a great fan of the series, but I have to get my books shipped from the US as it's not available here as a rule. I'm a few books behind, but you can expect nail-biting death rides into battle, political squabbling, massive fleet actions and grand strategy - the first few books kind of get you into the universe, but there's an awesome battle at the end of OBS, even though she starts with a lowly light cruiser - once you're about 6 books in, she's gone on to much greater things.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

IMO one of the best miltary sci-fi series ever. Weber deftly descibes naval combat (think age of sail) and is also has very strong on characters. He weaves politics, battle, bureaucracy and plain old human stupidity into a rich tapestry. There are good and bad people on both sides, just as in life. The series has become so popular it has spawned 'Honorverse" stories by other major military sci-fi writers like David Drake, John Ringo, Eric Flint, S.M. Stirling and Timothy Zahn. You will enjoy!
      All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Just started Honor among Enemies (The London Libraries Consortium is wonderful).

A movie is starting the slow journey to development. Casting is going to be interesting - you've got to find a c.20 years old lady who can pull off a character who is twice her apparent age - and that's just for the lead. You've got to do it with the others as well and get the audience to understand prolong in a non-clunky way.
        Silent Hunter UK
        Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

Comment

Just finished the latest book A Rising Thunder. Pretty good but not a lot of action. The last 3 books have been more about political intrigue and diplomatic wrangling than fleet action. I actually enjoy that stuff but a lot of fans are running out of patience. Rumor has it 2013 will herald the return of combat.

Incidentally 2013 may also see publication of a Honorverse companion book and the third volume in the Torch Honorverse series.
          The movie is likely 2014-2015.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
            Just bought Basilisk station, I have yet to read it, but would you recommend that I jump into this series? And if so... what kind of cool things (since I know most of you can compare it to a lot of the other mil sci-fi I've read) can I expect?
            Oh yes, Read all of them. Over and Over AND OVER. I've had to get hardback versions over the years because my paperbacks have fallen apart.

You can expect battles to involve just hundreds, to millions. Trillions of dollars and decades of Infrastructure to go boom. You can see battles ranging from actual sword fighting range to over 3 light minutes. Suicidal charges and one sided ambushes so total you cringe. Some characters that evolve, others that don't. I cried over two characters when they died. Honor herself may be too perfect, but that is more than cancelled out by the others who are varied.

Comment

I really wanted to like these books. Everybody raves about them.

I read the first one and I didn't care for it.

Guess I'm in the minority lol.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Not quite. I also read the first book and while entertaining it didn't sell the series to me. I simply didn't like how so many other characters were facing about how awesome the protagonist is, several subordinates and even at least one enemy being in awe of her, I thought it overdone. I got the feeling that the author was more in love with Miss Harrington than I could ever be. The protagonist having a slightly psychic cat is a starship-sized warning sign.

Ironically I quite like the Lost Fleet series, where the protagonist is actively idolized by many. It didn't tick me off, first because the PoV never shifts from the protagonists so we get all the adulation second-hand, and second it is presented as not such a good thing, with the protagonist being very uncomfortable with it. Or maybe I am just an evil chauvinist who cannot stand a story featuring a woman in command, like all the others who didn't love Star Trek Voyager.
                Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                  Oh yes, Read all of them. Over and Over AND OVER. I've had to get hardback versions over the years because my paperbacks have fallen apart.
                  You can get them as e-books as well now. The first two are free.

On Basilisk Station is certainly excellent - I read the entire final third in one sitting, which is rare for me.
                  Silent Hunter UK

Personal Blog

Comment

Overall, I enjoy the series. Honor can be an annoying Mary-Sue at times, but the minor characters and other aspects tend to more than make up for it.

On a side note, I agree with Acheron on The Lost Fleet, give it a read if you haven't yet.
                    Diadochi Rising Wargame:
                    King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by Anacreon View Post
                      Overall, I enjoy the series. Honor can be an annoying Mary-Sue at times, but the minor characters and other aspects tend to more than make up for it.
                      Agree - for some reason my favourite character is White Haven.
                      Silent Hunter UK

Personal Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                        Agree - for some reason my favourite character is White Haven.
                        I prefer him in the earlier books, Thomas Theisman is probably my current favourite (if only for the ending of Ashes of Victory).
                        Diadochi Rising Wargame:
                        King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by Anacreon View Post
                          Interesting, maybe I should give the series another change and try to overlook the faving over the protagonist. I remember if being well written

On a side note, I agree with Acheron on The Lost Fleet, give it a read if you haven't yet.
                          I really love the series, read it twice or thrice. Thinking of it, there are quite some objective issues with it, which I normally bitch about, but I believe that I do not notice these in the series because it is quite engagingly written.
                          Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                          Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                          USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Thomas Theisman is definitely one of my favorites. As is Alistair Mckeon, and Andrew LaFollet.

Comment

Sarnow,Tourville and Henke are some of my faves.

The series has stagnated a bit in the last two main line books. I attribute this to the fact that HH was supposed to die in At all Costs setting the stage for her offspring to fight the new enemy. Not that I'm not happy with the new direction the series is going,I am happy,but it is taken more storytelling by Weber to get the plot going.
                              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X