Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Williams
    replied
    Perhaps an even better deal (with many of the same titles) is The History Book Club, four books at $1 each (plus S&H) with no further commitment.

I was economically compelled to take the offer from HBC, for $15.71 ($1/book plus S&H) I received.......

"The War" -regular club price $34.99
    "The Library of Congress WW II Companion"- regular club price $31.99
    "The French and Indian War" - regular club price $19.49
    "War Made New" - regular club price $11.99

The best part is that's all I'm commited to buy, now that's a deal!

Leave a comment:

• Leftie
    replied
    I think they may have caught on to me now. I have joined 3 times. Bought the required books and cancelled my membership and joined again a few months later. This time when I tried to cancel my membership, they just stopped automatically shipping books out to me. My account is still open but they no longer send books without my approval.

Still, it's a great deal if you don't mind the hassle of checking their site every week to make sure they don't send out the main selections. For me, it was a minor inconvenience to get so many books for dirt cheap.

Ben

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    I just signed up again about a month ago. I got the 4 books for $1 each and my first of 2 required purchases at 1/2 price. With shipping and handling it was $30 and I got the following..........

-The 3 book boxed set "Power at Sea"
    -The big coffee table book "Warrior"
    -"Sniper-A History of the US Marksman"
    -"Fighting Techniques of the Napoleonic Age"
    -"History of the German Soldier: 1630-2000"

I just have to buy one more book at regular prices within a year to fulfill the membership requirements. I think its a great initial value, but if you stay and buy a lot of books at club prices its not as great a value although they do have specials, etc. I've probably joined 4-5 times, fulfilled the requirements and then quit.........then do it again.

Perhaps an even better deal (with many of the same titles) is The History Book Club, four books at $1 each (plus S&H) with no further commitment.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I was for quite a few years, but the selection of titles in my areas of interest dropped off and I let my membership expire. Every so often I get another "come back to us" offer, but so far I haven't.

Leave a comment:

• ranchohouse
    replied
    the only thing that sucks about the MBC is that i don't have an APO address anymore and they don't ship international. but the books i did order were great

Leave a comment:

• sickpup
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
    I have been wanting to sign up for this for some time now but like some of you I a bit turned off by the whole mail order thing and the horror stories I heard from a friend's dad who was a member. Perhaps I will give it a shot now that I have seen some positive stories.

I know one thing and it looks alot cheaper then Borders, Barnes & Noble or Amazon.
    So far so good.

As was mentioned, when you join you get 5 books for like 5 bucks. (Good books to choose from, too). Then, all you gotta do is buy two or three books and then you're free to leave the club.

So, realistically, you're looking at 7 or 8 good books for under 50 bucks. Not too shabby considering how much I've been spending at B&N lately.

Leave a comment:

• Creeping Death
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
    I have been wanting to sign up for this for some time now but like some of you I a bit turned off by the whole mail order thing and the horror stories I heard from a friend's dad who was a member. Perhaps I will give it a shot now that I have seen some positive stories.

I know one thing and it looks alot cheaper then Borders, Barnes & Noble or Amazon.
    Plus remember you get a bunch of books (I think 4) for .99 to start with.
    I think I have ordered 20+ books from them in 2 years.
    They also have a lot of sales that they will send info for via email.
    Around X-Mas they have $9.99 sale.....that is for every book they have.
    That is a deal for sure.

Chad

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Creeping Death
    replied
    still love it

I still love the MBC.
    A hint for all the new guys who join. They will send you books all the time as there main selection. If you do not want to go through the hassle of sending them back I would go online weekly and change the selection to not send.
    That way you don't get any books in the mail and have to go through all the fun stuff of returning them. It doesn't cost you anything but it is still a pain.

Also, my customer service experience with them has been good as well. I got charged a late fee and I called them about it and they removed it.

Chad

Leave a comment:

• sickpup
    replied
    I signed up a few days ago... now I'm just waiting to get my books.

Here's what I ordered:

Beyond the Wild Blue (the new/updated edition that includes Iraq and A-stan)
    Why Air Forces Fail
    Urban Guerrilla Warfare
    House to House
    Tools of Violence

Leave a comment:

• Tiger1
    replied
    I've been a member for over 20 years, and still think it's great.

Leave a comment:

• The Cooler King
    replied
    I'll most likely sign up after they answer the e-mail I sent them about their offer. Their site says that if you buy one more book in addition to the 5 for $1, you get 50% off the publisher's price of that book. I was wondering if that book counts towards your obligation of 2 books within the next year. I don't see why it wouldn't.

The 5 books I think I'm going to get are:
    1. Beyond Band of Brothers
    2. All American, All the Way
    3. Four Stars of Valor
    4. Indestructible
    5. Company Commander

Plus I'm going to purchase Biggest Brother as well.

Leave a comment:

• Scout32
    replied
    I had received an offer in the mail to join but was reluctant having heard various peoples horror stories about these kind of mail order clubs.After reading these posts I,ve decided to give it a try.I signed up last night and selected my 5 books for a dollar.hope they're as good as several of you have mentioned.I love buying books.

Leave a comment:

• dhuffjr
    replied
    My dad was a multiple decade long member and much of my military history library from him came from that club.

I've been looking periodically for two Gordon Rottman books that at one time were part of the MBC selection. Amazon has the standard version for 125 so I'm looking for a deal.

I'm hoping they pick those titles up again and I'll join up!

Leave a comment:

• Creeping Death
    replied
    Old thread

I am a huge fan of the MBC...besides the great deals you get when you join they also have some great sales as well. Mentioned earlier was the 9.99 per book deal. What is nice is the fact that there is no limit and almost every book is included in that deal. I think i ordered 4 books the last time it went on.

I can't say enough good things about it.

Chad

Here is a previous thread I started a while back.
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=41853

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X