Military Book Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Book Club

Anyone here a member of the Military Book Club?

http://www.militarybookclub.com/doc/...homepage.jhtml

I'm thinking about signing up. They have a deal right now where you can get 5 books for $1. The catch is that you have to buy two more books within the next year at membership price. But I still think it's a good deal.

I used to be, many moons ago. The deal at the time wasn't bad and many of the books were decent.

Comment

I've been a member for a few years.

I typically don't buy items from them at regular price, I only watch for the sale prices. The $9.99/book deal they have/had(?) recently was pretty good, and I picked up a few books.

I think I've definately gotten my money's worth.

-Cary

Comment

I've been with them long enough to measure it in decades hehe.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I have been a member for decades also ouch and never regretted it. The bulk of my Military library came from the club. They usually have publisher's editions at better than bookstore prices and carry fiction too. Just got my copy of Sharpe's Fury in the mail yesterday.

Can't wait to read it, soon as I finish the David Weber I'm reading now...
          All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Old thread

I am a huge fan of the MBC...besides the great deals you get when you join they also have some great sales as well. Mentioned earlier was the 9.99 per book deal. What is nice is the fact that there is no limit and almost every book is included in that deal. I think i ordered 4 books the last time it went on.

I can't say enough good things about it.

Chad

Here is a previous thread I started a while back.
            http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=41853
            "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

My dad was a multiple decade long member and much of my military history library from him came from that club.

I've been looking periodically for two Gordon Rottman books that at one time were part of the MBC selection. Amazon has the standard version for 125 so I'm looking for a deal.

I'm hoping they pick those titles up again and I'll join up!
              As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

I had received an offer in the mail to join but was reluctant having heard various peoples horror stories about these kind of mail order clubs.After reading these posts I,ve decided to give it a try.I signed up last night and selected my 5 books for a dollar.hope they're as good as several of you have mentioned.I love buying books.
                If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

I'll most likely sign up after they answer the e-mail I sent them about their offer. Their site says that if you buy one more book in addition to the 5 for $1, you get 50% off the publisher's price of that book. I was wondering if that book counts towards your obligation of 2 books within the next year. I don't see why it wouldn't.

The 5 books I think I'm going to get are:
                  1. Beyond Band of Brothers
                  2. All American, All the Way
                  3. Four Stars of Valor
                  4. Indestructible
                  5. Company Commander

Plus I'm going to purchase Biggest Brother as well.

Comment

I've been a member for over 20 years, and still think it's great.

Comment

I signed up a few days ago... now I'm just waiting to get my books.

Here's what I ordered:

Beyond the Wild Blue (the new/updated edition that includes Iraq and A-stan)
                      Why Air Forces Fail
                      Urban Guerrilla Warfare
                      House to House
                      Tools of Violence
                      Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

still love it

I still love the MBC.
                        A hint for all the new guys who join. They will send you books all the time as there main selection. If you do not want to go through the hassle of sending them back I would go online weekly and change the selection to not send.
                        That way you don't get any books in the mail and have to go through all the fun stuff of returning them. It doesn't cost you anything but it is still a pain.

Also, my customer service experience with them has been good as well. I got charged a late fee and I called them about it and they removed it.

Chad
                        "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I have been wanting to sign up for this for some time now but like some of you I a bit turned off by the whole mail order thing and the horror stories I heard from a friend's dad who was a member. Perhaps I will give it a shot now that I have seen some positive stories.

I know one thing and it looks alot cheaper then Borders, Barnes & Noble or Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                            I have been wanting to sign up for this for some time now but like some of you I a bit turned off by the whole mail order thing and the horror stories I heard from a friend's dad who was a member. Perhaps I will give it a shot now that I have seen some positive stories.

I know one thing and it looks alot cheaper then Borders, Barnes & Noble or Amazon.
                            Plus remember you get a bunch of books (I think 4) for .99 to start with.
                            I think I have ordered 20+ books from them in 2 years.
                            They also have a lot of sales that they will send info for via email.
                            Around X-Mas they have $9.99 sale.....that is for every book they have.
                            That is a deal for sure.

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post

So far so good.

As was mentioned, when you join you get 5 books for like 5 bucks. (Good books to choose from, too). Then, all you gotta do is buy two or three books and then you're free to leave the club.

So, realistically, you're looking at 7 or 8 good books for under 50 bucks. Not too shabby considering how much I've been spending at B&N lately.
                              Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X