• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: Biggest Brother

Books: Biggest Brother

Discuss this review here!

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Reality always seems less glamorous than HBO. Fortunately, there are forums, like ACG, where one can discuss military history and heroes with those who read. Thanks for the review.
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

There is one thing that has been bugging me about this review, and I meant to put it in, but didn't and that is that the book lacked any maps. It talked about places, and while many of us know where they are at, it is helpful to have a map. That is my biggest complaint with this book and couple of others lately -- no maps.
      I would define true courage to be a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.
      --William T. Sherman

Comment

Finally finished

While I agree with many of the things stated in the review, I do feel as if i was able to learn a lot more about Dick Winters the man not the soldier. I really found the last few chapters of the book to be the best. Hearing the stories about his view of Damian Lewis, the battle he waged with those at HBO and the Band of Brothers filming.
        I really enjoyed this book, for me it was heart warming. It sounds as if he is still trying to make every reasonable effort to reply to letters and sign books at the age of 88 ( I believe).

CD
        "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I have the book and also "Beyond Band of Brothers" which is more of a biography. I enjoyed the last chapters as well. Both books to me are more or less a re telling of Ambroses "Band of Brothers" which I dont mind. But When you read "Beyond" I got the feeling " hey, did I not just read this!"

Comment

Originally posted by doomonyou
            I have the book and also "Beyond Band of Brothers" which is more of a biography. I enjoyed the last chapters as well. Both books to me are more or less a re telling of Ambroses "Band of Brothers" which I dont mind. But When you read "Beyond" I got the feeling " hey, did I not just read this!"
            I think my dad did that one for review. It is an autobiography by Major Winters himself (I may be confusing the two books but my net connection is sloooooooow at the moment and I'm not going to try and bring up amazon to figure it out)
            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Biggest Brother was a biography done by Larry Alexander and Beyond Band of Brothers was Dick Winters' war memoirs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X