Favorite Sven Hassel book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Sven Hassel book

Figured since I made a thread about Hassel covers in the Barracks I might as well find out which book is your favorite. Also curious to see how many of you guys have even heard of or read Hassel. I'm sure many if not most UK and Finnish guys have. He seems most popular there.
    Legion of the Damned
    0.00%
    Wheels of Terror
    12.50%
    Comrades of War
    0.00%
    Monte Cassino
    12.50%
    March Battalion
    25.00%
    Liquidate Paris
    0.00%
    Assignment Gestapo
    0.00%
    SS General
    25.00%
    Reign of Hell
    0.00%
    Blitzfreeze
    0.00%
    Bloody Road to Death
    0.00%
    Court Martial
    0.00%
    OGPU Prison
    25.00%
    Commissar
    0.00%
    Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

March Battalion for me. Love the East Front stuff and it was one of my first Hassel books.

Comment

Toss up between Comrades, OGPU, and Wheels... I went with OGPU... tons of action right from the get-go...
      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Hey! Read this! I'm over here.

Secretly I want all of them now.......
        I haven't read any of them.
        I just found out!
        Which order do you read them?
        Psycho tell us more about them.
        Slug
        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Slug
          Secretly I want all of them now.......
          I haven't read any of them.
          I just found out!
          Which order do you read them?
          Psycho tell us more about them.
          Slug
          The order I have them listed in is supposed to be order they were published in. I have seen Ass Gestapo moved up to the 4th spot in some people's lists but I'm not sure.

From what I recall the first three in order cover the war. Others:

Summer 41 Commissar
          Summer/Fall 41 thru Feb 42 Blitzfreeze
          late 42 thru Apr 43 SS General
          late 42 thru Apr 43 March Battalion
          July 43 to Jan 44 Assignment Gestapo
          Jan 44 to May 44 Monte Cassino
          June thru Aug 44 Bloody Road to Death
          Aug thru Oct 44 Reign of Hell
          June 44 thru early 45 Liquidate Paris

Winter 42 (or 43) Court Martial
          1941 or 42 or 43 OGPU Prison

All dates based on historical knowledge I have and what is commented on in the books. They are still only best guess in some cases due to mixed references. OGPU mentions Caucasus campaign which would be late 42 to early 43 but other fighting takes place in the Ukraine sounding like Summer 41 or maybe 42. Very tough to pin anything down except Moscow, Stalingrad, Cassino, Warsaw, DDay, etc.

Comment

Nah my dad came up with a good order to read them in that isn't chronoligcally correct but you can't read OGPU without having read Bloody Road... because you have no clue where Albert comes from... he's got them organized mostly by plot not by chronollogy... I'll ask him...
            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
              Nah my dad came up with a good order to read them in that isn't chronoligcally correct but you can't read OGPU without having read Bloody Road... because you have no clue where Albert comes from... he's got them organized mostly by plot not by chronollogy... I'll ask him...
              That's a tough one. I read them as I got them. IIRC:

87 Assignment Gestapo
              88 March Battalion
              88 Liquidate Paris
              88 Monte Cassino
              91 Bloody Road to Death
              91 OGPU Prison
              92 Comrades of War
              93 SS General
              93 Wheels of Terror
              93 Legion of the Damned
              99 Blitzfreeze
              99 Reign of Hell
              99 Court Martial
              99 Commissar

That's best guess on time but pretty accurate. A few years ago I reread them in published order and made notes to come up with a timeline order for reading them. No real luck there either.

Comment

I only ever read one Monte Cassino which was pretty good. They seemed to be all the rage in the mid '70's but didn't see/hear much about them after that.
                http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Lordy, takes me back many years- 70s? IIRC, SS General was the one when they got out of Stalingrad. That was good. I like'd them all actually- they seemed natural successors to UK comic books only you couldn't fit them into hymn books at Sunday services... Shame...
                  Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                  (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff
                    Lordy, takes me back many years- 70s? IIRC, SS General was the one when they got out of Stalingrad. That was good. I like'd them all actually- they seemed natural successors to UK comic books only you couldn't fit them into hymn books at Sunday services... Shame...
                    You !
                    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
                      You !
                      Finally something we agree on...

Comment

You !
                        Errr... Sorry, and wouldn't want to jump the gun (so to speak (and very nervously)), but maybe while you're at it can you put the lads out of their misery over at:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...=24972&page=79
                        Last edited by General Staff; 25 Apr 06, 17:58.

Comment

I have read them without any order.
                          My favourite ones are March Batallion and Wheels of Terror.

Here is a nice site on series.

Best Regards
                          Fatih
                          "A nation which makes the final sacrifice for life and freedom does not get beaten." - Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

I only ever read one Monte Cassino which was pretty good. They seemed to be all the rage in the mid '70's but didn't see/hear much about them after that.
                            He was apparently huge in Europe from the late 50s thru the early to mid 80s. They just reprinted 4 books in 2003 and another 4 in 2004 but have decided not to reprint the last 6 for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff
                              Yep that was in Stalingrad while March Battalion takes place outside the pocket during the same time period. I still don't understand how some of those dudes on that Sven Hassel site believe the books aren't fiction (at least most of them if not all).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X